Contributor

i just realized that i have been shopping for 2 decades on the q

and wondered what has happened to the old time posters like--accessory queen (a home care nurse), pink 32 (a genius with videos and she had the most gorgeous tat), even livin large(a short but interesting addition to the forum-purchased every jr2 cuff plus boasted many many q items also---until she/he was busted) does anyone keep in touch with these people? i have been lucky enough to meet reybear, windycity1, and ripkacrazed in person-wonderful ladies

Respected Contributor

Re: i just realized that i have been shopping for 2 decades on the q

LOL---I got you beat! I started shopping in 1986---it might have been CVN, then they merged/changed to QVC. I had just moved into my apartment in Westchester County, New York after graduating from law school and I was commuting daily to Park Ave in NYC on the train and setting up my apartment. I bought a set of Red Tfal Cookware---that was my first purchase and I have those pots and pans for years until I replaced them with Wolfgang Puck when I moved out of that apartment in 1993 and bought a house in Massachusetts.

I also have met many great Ripkanistas---and have become good friends and we even travel/vacation together and visit at each others homes across the country. This love for jewelry has brought us much more than mere jewelry!

"More is more and less is a bore!" Iris Apfel
Contributor

I remember those names. They were on the forum quite often at the very beginning of the forum. Although so many have come and gone, I must say-we still have a wonderful group of Ripkanistas and we are very fortunate.

Having met many Atlanta Ripkanistas in person and now aprilmom-I am proud to call all my friend.

Shout out to all!

Occasional Contributor

It's all gone by so quickly!

My first QVC purchase: I flipped by the channel (I never had watched it before, and never bought anything off TV) and saw Jeffrey selling a "one time only" (I did not know what that meant) 5-gram 20-inch 18k rope chain for approx. $100.

I'm usually a relatively cautious person but I jumped in it! I'd like to see that deal again now...

Super Contributor

Aprilmom.. your thread got me thinking. I started watching QVC in 1992.My mother fell and came to stay at my house , because hers had steps. She had broke her femur bone. She is the one who turned on QVC! She ordered me a nice set of pots and pans while she was here. She loved to watch the silver jewelry shows. After she went back home I flipped on the channel... happened to be the JAN. GOLDRUSH shows.I was a gold fan so I Called and ask her was the TSV gold necklace a good price... She said yes... that was the beginning~ Just thinking... wish QVC would of been a savings account... lol ..... Good thread~

moongirl

Trusted Contributor

We must have all started with a gold chain, although mine was 14k, sold by Marybeth, about 20 years ago.

Frequent Contributor

livin large's posts were always highly amusing to me! It's been interesting to post here over the years, to say the least. Smile

Respected Contributor

Remember they were selling Gold Herringbone Necklaces almost every day....and also "Mother's Rings" with multicolor gemstones and similar tennis bracelets. The Silver shows had things as low as $10, or less! The TSV's would sometimes sell out in 5 minutes or less.

I really started upping my watching/buying when Joan Rivers came on with her original Classics jewelry collection---the quality was amazing---can't recall exactly what year that was, but it was after 1987---and she was sooo funny with Kathy Levine. I also watched the first KJL show in about 1990. Then Nolan Miller (RIP) came on in 1992 and I remember watching the first show. It was always the jewelry that drew me in, still is, although I buy plenty of other "stuff"---mostly make-up and skin care, handbags and Louis Dell'Olio, but I've bought cameras, TV's, printers---even a mattress! It's a long, long list.......

"More is more and less is a bore!" Iris Apfel
Esteemed Contributor

I remember CVN and the very first broadcast as QVC with Bob Bowersox....they were only on the air a couple of hours.

Wasn't that just yesterday? Time does fly.

Contributor

I remember a poster "Zacca" who was so nice to everyone and did not have a mean thing to say about anyone or any item someone else had bought. there have been a number or posters that I don't see anymore, but I remember Zacca as being so kind to everyone.

I'm part of the Atlanta Ripkanista's and have met a number of fellow Ripka, Bixby and jewelry lovers and it has been a lot of fun to share and see how everyone puts together their collection and it gives you ideas, but it can also be hard on the pocketbook! We also have show and tell each month and of course selling items is a lot of fun.