Frequent Contributor

I recently purchased and sent back 2 bi-color fluorite pieces of jewelry, a pendant and a ring.  Based on the presentation by the host and gem expert I was expecting the pieces to be a rich blue/purple color.  Mine however turned out to be no blue, light purple, and light green.  I understand that pearls and gemstones have their unique colors, but it seems like the pros present the best of the best and we, the customer, have to take our chances that we will get an item of equal beauty.

Respected Contributor

JTV's fluorite pieces are a really beautiful dark blue. I bought a pair of earrings and they are beautiful.  They do have a tinge of purple in the right light.

Respected Contributor

@severusgirl  I understand your frustration.  Fluorite does come in almost every color of the rainbow, so there are a lot of variations.  I agree that QVC tries to show the best examples, so people expect to get what they saw.

I have several bi-color fluorite stones, most are a green/purple combination, and only one is the blue/purple as you describe.  I purchased them from ShopLC at much more reasonable prices. They also do a better job of presenting pieces that look like what you actually receive.  I think this is because they sell to a much smaller audience, so they don't have to produce hundreds or thousands of any one piece.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@severusgirl wrote:

I recently purchased and sent back 2 bi-color fluorite pieces of jewelry, a pendant and a ring.  Based on the presentation by the host and gem expert I was expecting the pieces to be a rich blue/purple color.  Mine however turned out to be no blue, light purple, and light green.  I understand that pearls and gemstones have their unique colors, but it seems like the pros present the best of the best and we, the customer, have to take our chances that we will get an item of equal beauty.

There are some pieces of jewelry where you need to "see" them up close and personal. I once ordered a strand of pearls and they were not the rose tone represented. After that, I rarely rely on descriptions from websites. 

Honored Contributor

All the shopping channel pick out the best example of a gemstone to show on TV.  What you actually get may be a far cry.  I think the worst offender is HSN with their Jay King pieces.  Wouldn't you do the same if you ran a TV shopping channel?    This is why they've been so in love with Sleeping Beauty turquoise... it's consistently the same color and has no matrix so it's all the same, like a factory-made product. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Fluorite has the hardness of talc.  I can't believe the made a ring out of that!

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Fluorite has the hardness of talc.  I can't believe the made a ring out of that!

I agree.  Only earrings on a pendant.  Too soft for a ring.

*Call Tyrone*
Super Contributor

@severusgirl: You can also go to Etsy. Some sellers sell the famous Blue John fluorite. Like a reviewer said, Shop LC has also good prices.