Trusted Contributor

Who can forget?Joan Rivers wear jewelry.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

I'd like to ask the OP "why do you ask?".... and if I don't wear it "on purpose", does mean that I must be wearing it by accident?? LOL - some people like bling and larger pieces of jewelry, and I think we can do that without overdoing it. I'm personally not into little tiny rings and necklaces, but it doesn't bother me at all if others prefer smaller pieces. To each her own (whether on purpose or by accident!).

Honored Contributor

I wear smaller or medium pieces.  I am a petite person and those honking big pieces look stupid on me. My ring size is 4 1/5, so I can’t wear big rings or they turn.

I can’t wear big dangling earrings either.  They touch my shoulders.  I guess I have a short neck too.

Now  if my jewels have shine and sparkle, that’s a good thing.

Honored Contributor

I am all over the place in my jewelry choices.  A lot of the times I like very small and classic pieces.  At other times, I like very colorful, bold and eye catching.  Just depends on my moods.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I'm all over the place on the jewelry spectrum.  

It's a mood thing.

Respected Contributor

I don't wear a lot of bling, sparkly jewelry.  I do wear a lot of sterling silver.  Some are simple and understated but most are big bold pieces.  I actually like opaque gemstones as opposed to the sparkle stones. 

Honored Contributor

I love costume jewelry.  Whimsical and pretty.  I like layering bracelets with a pretty watch, ankle bracelets, toe rings.  I love earrings but for some reason I think they look weird on me.  So I wear little stud earrings.  

Frequent Contributor

I love flashy jewelry particularly at special events and performances. Such as going to the Opera or a Ballet. I love Heidi Daus for such events. My every day jewelry might be flashy to some but it is more toned down natural gemstones.

I love wearing jewelry. To me it is art. Would you say to a goregous bright flower "now why are you so flashy" or whatever? It is a big world with room for all kinds of expression or lack there of......

Frequent Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Yes everytime I get dressed to go somewhere, I love big, bold, flashy, gaudy, blingy jewelry.

this cracked me up- my grammy always wore very bold, flashy, gaudy , blingy jewelry too! Somehow the older I get the bigger and flashier I like it!

lol Things I loved on her but would never wear are now "me"

Honored Contributor

Re: flashy jewelry

[ Edited ]

Do you wear flashy jewelry on purpose and why?

@newname0

Flashy jewelry on purpose?    I don't remember the last time I heard the word flashy, but isn't most jewelry worn on purpose?

Not sure if you are referring to only "sparkling" pieces, but I have a gorgeous sterling silver cuff bracelet that is substantial, but not what I'd call "flashy".   I have a lot of stering silver pieces that I frequently wear.   Silver is the most reflective of metals, so it naturally reacts to light.

First, I think it's in the eye of the beholder.   Then, a woman's personality, proportion ...   and preferences  .....  will factor in.    Example ...   A larger-boned woman might wear a necklace that looks great and well-proportioned on her, but would look overwhelming on a petite gal.   

What one woman considers conservative or understated to some might seem flimsy and insubstantial to others.   

I think the event also matters.  Most would probably wear less jewelry to a funeral than they would to a cocktail party.

I think it also matters how many pieces you regularly wear.  ( My earrings got slighty bolder when I could no longer wear necklaces due to neck disc problems).

Having said that, my jewelry selections are usually in the medium-size range, sometimes "bold",   but not what I'd call  "flashy".