Trusted Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

I'd like to ask the OP "why do you ask?".... and if I don't wear it "on purpose", does mean that I must be wearing it by accident?? LOL - some people like bling and larger pieces of jewelry, and I think we can do that without overdoing it. I'm personally not into little tiny rings and necklaces, but it doesn't bother me at all if others prefer smaller pieces. To each her own (whether on purpose or by accident!).

I think I'm trying to say that the older you get the more you should flaunt it.

Camilla.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@newname0There is a huge difference between flashy and bold. Any age can pull off bold! Bold, if it's the real deal, is amazing, beautiful and perfect when worn for the correct occasion.

Flashy appears just that: costume and less costly; not the real thing. A lot of "bling". If I cannot have the real thing, I don't ever wear bling. Everybody is different. Lots of women are able to pull it off; I'm not.   

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

No, I don't wear flashy jewelry as I'm not comfortable wearing stuff like that. I don't wear gaudy items. But jewelry is personal so what I wear isn't necessarily what someone else would like or wear.

Honored Contributor

I don't think anyone can wear flashy jewelry by accident...lol    Flashy is subjective, what you call flashy  isn't flashy to another person.  I'm going to assume you mean big, statement pieces.  Yes, I do sometimes wear large, statement pieces.  Not as often as I did years ago when I was really into big jewelry.  When I wear a plain tank dress or plain sweater dress, I do like a big...really big...necklace.  I don't wear big, sparkly fake gemstone pieces.  When I say "big" it's either shiny metal or beads or semiprecious gemstones.  

Respected Contributor

I like larger pieces but wear it sparingly—don’t pile it on. I can’t remember the last time I wore bracelets, earrings, necklace, and rings all together. Too many rings and bracelets were uncomfortable when I was working, and I got used to less jewelry.

Jewelry is fun and beautiful in a range of shapes, sizes, and degree of bling! It seems to go in phases with me and of course depends on the occasion.

Honored Contributor

Several of my jewelry pieces may be considered “flashy”, but not in a crystal/rhinestone fashion jewelry way. 

Super Contributor

If by flashy you mean large - then - yes - I wear bold, artsy statement pieces - I am a tall imposing woman - I would look silly in little dainty things

Esteemed Contributor

Re: flashy jewelry

[ Edited ]

@newname0 wrote:

@jannabelle1 wrote:

I'd like to ask the OP "why do you ask?".... and if I don't wear it "on purpose", does mean that I must be wearing it by accident?? LOL - some people like bling and larger pieces of jewelry, and I think we can do that without overdoing it. I'm personally not into little tiny rings and necklaces, but it doesn't bother me at all if others prefer smaller pieces. To each her own (whether on purpose or by accident!).

I think I'm trying to say that the older you get the more you should flaunt it.

Camilla.jpg

Gorgeous diamonds and rubies. I can't imagine how stunning those rubies are up close.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Do you wear flashy jewelry on purpose and why?

@newname0

Flashy jewelry on purpose?    I don't remember the last time I heard the word flashy, but isn't most jewelry worn on purpose?

Not sure if you are referring to only "sparkling" pieces, but I have a gorgeous sterling silver cuff bracelet that is substantial, but not what I'd call "flashy".   I have a lot of stering silver pieces that I frequently wear.   Silver is the most reflective of metals, so it naturally reacts to light.

First, I think it's in the eye of the beholder.   Then, a woman's personality, proportion ...   and preferences  .....  will factor in.    Example ...   A larger-boned woman might wear a necklace that looks great and well-proportioned on her, but would look overwhelming on a petite gal.   

What one woman considers conservative or understated to some might seem flimsy and insubstantial to others.   

I think the event also matters.  Most would probably wear less jewelry to a funeral than they would to a cocktail party.

I think it also matters how many pieces you regularly wear.  ( My earrings got slighty bolder when I could no longer wear necklaces due to neck disc problems).

Having said that, my jewelry selections are usually in the medium-size range, sometimes "bold",   but not what I'd call  "flashy".

@Tinkrbl44- Joan Rivers was a tiny little thing but she looked stunning in her own jewelry, whether it was her real stuff or the faux. She was able to carry off the largest and flashiest necklaces with ease. I miss her!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

I don't know if you would call it flashy, maybe bold or uninhibited.   I like to wear Tahitian pearls layered, Pendants and ropes, multiple strands, rings, bracelets.  

I dont' ususally see anyone wearing these pearls, let alone the amount I usually put on.   I tear up strands and make ropes of different colors and combinations.  I like to recycyle tahitians into tin cups or add gemstones and gold beads to change things up.