Trusted Contributor

Re: different colors of yellow gold

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

Does anyone remember the truly dreaful fad of "colored" gold from a few years ago? Fortunately that fad went away almost as fast as it showed up.

A lot of that stuff showed up at the outlet stores. Black, purple, green. UGH. Not my taste, but great for anyone who liked it. 

Respected Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I guess as long as it's stamped 14 Kt/Italy as in most cases it's nothing to worry about or stress over not getting what I paid for.

I've been selling some gold gemstone pieces on Nextdoor - trying to get a little more money than if I just sent it to US Goldbuyers for the gold content. I bought a loupe so I could find the hallmarks on all the pieces. Wow those things are hard to find sometimes - like inside the bail loop. Anyway I see the countries marked also - Turkey, Mexico, etc. Not just Italy.

Honored Contributor

yeah, I got one that says Indonesia. Most people think Italy is the big who ha though

Esteemed Contributor

Gold Plated Jewelry

What is gold plated jewelry? As the name implies, this is when a base metal like copper, nickel, or aluminum is coated with a layer of gold using an electroplating solution or chemical deposition. Gold plated jewelry is typically the most affordable since it contains the least amount of gold. The thickness of the gold layer will determine the price of the jewelry. Usually, costume jewelry will have a layer that is 1 micron thick or less. Designer or brand jewelry that's higher end may have a gold layer that's 2-3 microns thick. Does gold plated fade? Yes, it does, especially if the gold plated finish is thin. This is the biggest drawback to this type of gold jewelry. The good news is that you can easily have it plated again by a manufacturing jeweler when this happens.

2. Gold Vermeil Jewelry

Vermeil gold (pronounced ‘ver-may’) or gold vermeil jewelry is actually a type of gold plated jewelry. It features a pure or sterling silver base metal that is heavily plated with gold. According to United States regulations, the layer must be at least 2.5 microns thick and the minimum gold purity used must be 10ct gold. Does gold vermeil tarnish? No, it will not. However, silver can tarnish. The gold layer can become dirty and fade over time. Once the core metal is exposed, the jewelry can tarnish. Frequent but gentle cleaning using a soft cloth can help preserve the plating and prevent the finish from fading.

3. Gold Filled Jewelry

What is gold filled jewelry and how is it different from gold vermeil? Unlike gold vermeil jewelry, a gold filled piece does not have a coating of gold. Instead, a thick sheet of gold is applied on top of a base metal core and exposed to high pressure, so that the two become permanently bonded. In order to be considered gold filled, the weight of the gold must be 1/20th or 5% of the total weight of the metal content. This is why some gold filled pieces are labeled as 1/20 gold. Gold filled jewelry is around 5 to 10 times thicker than gold plated jewelry. These pieces are expected to last anywhere from 10 to 30 years.

Does gold filled jewelry tarnish? Yes, this type of gold jewelry can still tarnish but this is rare. It would take extreme sulfide exposure to blacken the gold such as high levels of chemical sulfide fumes in a nail salon.

4. Solid Gold Jewelry

Of all gold jewelry types, solid gold is the best option as well as the most expensive. But "solid" is actually a misnomer. Because a piece that is made purely of gold would be too soft and very expensive to make. Because of these reasons, jewelers mix gold with other metals that will provide structure and durability to the piece. The amount of gold in the alloy (mixture of metals) will determine the price. The higher the gold content, the higher the price tag will be.

How do you find out the gold content of a piece of jewelry? The purity of gold is measured in karats. The purest gold is 24 karats. 1 karat means 1 part pure gold and 23 parts of another metal. 18 karats means 18 parts pure gold and the rest is another metal.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

any one in the jewelry business know why some yellow gold is more yellowish gold then others like the jewelry you buy here at QVC is more

pale  yellow. I'm talking genuine 14kt yellow gold.

The alloys used as well as percent of gold.  I know that 18kt gold looks more buttery than 14 kt gold (yellow).  10 kt gold looks a little lighter than 14kt yellow gold.  It depends on the percentage of gold as well as the type of alloys used when producing the yellow gold piece.

Your gold doesn't have to be stamped "Italy" just the karat should be there stamped somewhere.  Not all jewelry comes from Italy.  The standard in Italy is 18kt gold.  They do make lower karats for other markets but they don't wear it.  LOL.

Esteemed Contributor

Does anyone remember the truly dreaful fad of "colored" gold from a few years ago? Fortunately that fad went away almost as fast as it showed up.

@SharkEit wasn't a fad.  These are true colors of gold.  They are not very prominent but they are standard colors for gold jewelry.  Purple, Green and Black/Brown.  It's just a different alloy being used is all.

Trusted Contributor

Black Hills Gold jewelry uses green gold. I have some older pieces with leaves of light green gold.

I remember the Gold Rush colored gold jewelry. The only color I liked was the rose gold.

My grandmother had a rose gold watch that she called "pink gold". It was a beautiful pale pink shade. It may have faded from a deeper color.

Esteemed Contributor

@candyagain wrote:

Black Hills Gold jewelry uses green gold. I have some older pieces with leaves of light green gold.

I remember the Gold Rush colored gold jewelry. The only color I liked was the rose gold.

My grandmother had a rose gold watch that she called "pink gold". It was a beautiful pale pink shade. It may have faded from a deeper color.

@candyagainif it's genuine gold it will not fade.  Rose gold uses alloys that give it it's pink color (copper).  It will not fade if it is genuine gold.  10kt, 14 kt, 18kt.  Yes, Black Hills Gold is 12kt Gold, I think.  Maybe even 10kt.  I've never seen any in 14kt gold though.

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten 

Rose gold is still out there and used by Levian.  I have one Levian ring I just love with a large amount of stone that the rose gold was the lesser concern.

Respected Contributor

Sounds the same as what I know about gold. I prefer the color of 14K to 18K and I hate 22K!
Never underestimate the power of kindness.