Honored Contributor

different colors of yellow gold

any one in the jewelry business know why some yellow gold is more yellowish gold then others like the jewelry you buy here at QVC is more

pale  yellow. I'm talking genuine 14kt yellow gold.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: different colors of yellow gold

I am not in the jewelry business, but I know a couple of the reasons.    

One reason color may differ is the content of the "gold".  All 24K gold should be the same color, pure gold.  Gold below 24K is like cake batter, many ingredients.  The ingredients used will change the color.  For example, 18K gold is 18/24 gold and 6/24 other metals.  14k gold is 14/24 gold and 10/24 other metals.  And so on.

Another reason is that gold is sometimes plated with other materials.  It may be a higher gold content, or a different batch of the same gold content with a different mix of other metals.  This is done to achieve a more desirable colors.

These are 2 reasons I know.  There may be others. 

Respected Contributor

Manufacturers use different alloys to produce their 14K. It has to be 58.5% gold but they also use nickel, copper etc. I think they also use gold plating.

Honored Contributor

I also know manufacturers use various alloys, but no honest one marks 14k on a plated item.  That's just a gold layer on whatever metal is underneath - it can be a good way to get the look and feel of gold, but not the value of gold.

As far as what QVC sells, I haven't bought gold from any company since 2013 and not from QVC for years before that - bought most of my QVC gold during the 1990's when even Consumer Reports was listing them as one of the best sources of classic gold pieces.

Honored Contributor

Manufacturers use slightly different alloys in their gold mix that can change how gold looks.

Some companies use a little bit more copper, which gives it more of a orange or reddish color. Other companies use more nickel. The alloys that get mixed with gold to produce 14kt or 18kt, can be just enough that it will give you different hues or color combinations of the chains.

Manufactured differently:

Chains also require different methods to manufacture them. Links, ropes, box, wheat, herringbone, all require different techniques. Pulling, stretching, bending, flattening, twisting and linking the gold can make the chain different colors.

Plus, each style of chain has to be heated differently depending on how it’s made. Different temperatures will produce different yellows. Even the process of soldering the chain together can require different heat.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@millieshops wrote:

I also know manufacturers use various alloys, but no honest one marks 14k on a plated item.  That's just a gold layer on whatever metal is underneath - it can be a good way to get the look and feel of gold, but not the value of gold.

As far as what QVC sells, I haven't bought gold from any company since 2013 and not from QVC for years before that - bought most of my QVC gold during the 1990's when even Consumer Reports was listing them as one of the best sources of classic gold pieces.

Gold is sometimes plated on gold to achieve a certain color.  As long as the plating is the same karatage or higher than what is sold, it is not dishonest.  I have seen it, when I have sold gold, and it is cut, one can sometimes see a different color.  The professional gold buyers had no problem with that gold.  The pieces that I saw had the same karatage through and through, though different color inside (it was a tube).  I have seen vendors describe it, when 18k is plated over 14k to achieve a certain color.  Item sold as 14k is not dishonest.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Almost all of my gold is 18K.  And the color is different right there from 14K.  In recent years, due to the mixing of metals, 14K has become brighter and more yellow.  Closer to 18K.  But 14K white and rose still have a long way to go.  They just can't seem to get the brightness of 18K white and rose.  At least not with 14K. 

Honored Contributor

I guess as long as it's stamped 14 Kt/Italy as in most cases it's nothing to worry about or stress over not getting what I paid for.

Respected Contributor

Does anyone remember the truly dreaful fad of "colored" gold from a few years ago? Fortunately that fad went away almost as fast as it showed up.

Honored Contributor

not for me. People would think it was junky fashion 'jewelry'.  I don't even wear white gold. People think it's silver.