Valued Contributor

Re: cleaning sterling jewelry

@ScarletDove , when I really need to clean a silver piece with a stone such as turquoise in it, I will lightly dip a Q-tip in Connosseurs silver jewelry cleaner and dab it on the silver parts without touching the stone and then I quickly rinse the silver with water.  It works every time without harming the stone.

Respected Contributor

@Carol Diane wrote:

@ScarletDove , when I really need to clean a silver piece with a stone such as turquoise in it, I will lightly dip a Q-tip in Connosseurs silver jewelry cleaner and dab it on the silver parts without touching the stone and then I quickly rinse the silver with water.  It works every time without harming the stone.

@Carol Diane  Thank you for this great tip, the bracelet I need to clean would benefit from your method since there is open work with nooks and crannies...much appreciate!

Trusted Contributor

If any of you own Tiffany jewelry, you can get it cleaned free at their retail stores.  I had a chain that was so tangled and they de-tangled it also.  It use to cost $15 per piece for silver cleaning there.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I have a ton of silver and the only thing I ever use to clean it is a Sunshine Cloth.

@Kachina624   ITA. A Sunshine Cloth (yellow, soft cloth treated w/ agent to gently polish silver...& other jewelry) is all I’ve ever used.

Honored Contributor

@silkyk wrote:

If you have a lot of sterling silver jewelry you might want to invest in a good ultrasonic jewelry cleaner. DH got me one many years ago and I use it all the time.

@silkyk   If any jewelry has stones, please check prongs or any other stone settings before using ultrasonic cleaners. 

Honored Contributor

Also do not put pourous opaque stones like turquoise, opals or pearls in an Ultrasonic.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I use a polishing cloth, also.

If I have a seriously sweated up/tarnished/dirty piece I'll use toothpaste.  This means it is already well-worn, not in new condition, and I just need to restore to less grody.  I wouldn't do it on a pristine item.  The every day stuff.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:
Instructions for Making Homemade Silver Cleaner:
  • Line bottom of non-aluminum dish with a sheet of aluminum foil.
  • Mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda into a quart of hot water.
  • Soak for a half hour — time may vary depending on degree of tarnish.
  • Buff with clean, dry cloth.

@mom2four0418   This method of cleaning was intended for use on silver flatware.   I'd never risk using it on my jewelry.  It would totally remove the oxidation which enhances the detail on many pieced.  It will loosen stones that are glued in their settings.  Why do all this when all you need is a good pushing cloth?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@mom2four0418   This method of cleaning was intended for use on silver flatware.   I'd never risk using it on my jewelry.  It would totally remove the oxidation which enhances the detail on many pieced.  It will loosen stones that are glued in their settings.  Why do all this when all you need is a good pushing cloth?

I clean my jewelry using this method on a regular basis, and it works within a minute or two. It is completely safe and has never loosened stones or removed oxidation.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Esteemed Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@mom2four0418 can i do this with gemstones?  Of course nothing that may be glued, like a pearl.