allergic to sterling silver wedding band

In August i bought the mens sterling silver wedding band for $ 77.00 and after 3 months my ring finger developed an allergic reaction to the silver. I developed blisters inside my finger and itching, so i put it on my other and it did the same thing, so while at a doctor visit i mentioned my ring finger and showed her the ring. she said i allergic to the sterling silver and prescribed for me a powerful rx cream. Now im stuck with a ring i cant use.  

Trusted Contributor

Re: allergic to sterling silver wedding band

@dalilrich Just a thought...could you sell it on ebay?  You would at least get some money back.  Otherwise, sell it back to a place that buys silver?  Not much help, but better than nothing, maybe? 

Honored Contributor

Sorry that happened @dalilrich. I suspect that your allergic reaction involved the nickel alloy used in that silver band. People can develop this kind of allergy at any point in their lifetime. It's best to look for nickel-free silver or gold jewelry so that you may wear it without a reaction to it. 

Super Contributor

Ask a couple of jewelers what it would cost to have it dipped in nickel-free 14k gold.

Trusted Contributor

I know you probably hate to try this, but you might try coating the inside of the ring with clear nail polish.

I also have a nickel allergy, and it is miserable.  Clear nail polish helped me with a Guess watch that I had years ago.  The back of the case broke me out, but coating it with clear nail polish prevented it from coming into direct contact with my skin.   

Honored Contributor

@dalilrich wrote:

In August i bought the mens sterling silver wedding band for $ 77.00 and after 3 months my ring finger developed an allergic reaction to the silver. I developed blisters inside my finger and itching, so i put it on my other and it did the same thing, so while at a doctor visit i mentioned my ring finger and showed her the ring. she said i allergic to the sterling silver and prescribed for me a powerful rx cream. Now im stuck with a ring i cant use.  

@dalilrich   Most folks are actually sensitive to the nickel in silver. You can try wearing stainless, fine silver, white gold  or have your ring plated in a nickel free silver at a jeweler. 

Honored Contributor

I can relate to that, I'm also allergic to fashion jewelry and sterling silver.  I can only wear silver if it's 14k gold,  rhodium or platinum plated.  That's why I shop so much with ShopLC, most of their sterling is platinum plated.  Funny that this would come up now.  A few days ago, I wore a costume jewelry necklace over a turtleneck.  I thought it would be ok because it didn't touch my skin and I only had it on for a few hours.  Wrong!  I have a sore, itchy rash on one side of my neck and I don't have any of the steroid cream.  I'm going to try the otc steroid cream but I'm fairly certain I'll have to go into my doctor's office because I need a prescription for the stronger one.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I can't wear silver either.  It makes my skin itchy, sore, and bleed.  I have 1 piece of silver jewelry that is rhodium plated and I can wear it for a few hours without problems.  But that's it.  I have to stick to gold. 

Respected Contributor

The others have given you the same advise I would.  Are you taking antibiotics or a new birth control. This can also contribute to this.  Are you sure the ring is really silver?  There are a lot of fakes with that are stamped silver out there.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because of the link to another retail site.