Honored Contributor

Re: Your thoughts on Gem Day jewelry

@catlvr wrote:

@lulu2

Hi,

Yes, it's me.  Still in Utah!!!  Nothing too exciting to report, thank God!  Work, pets, life.

Oh, I bought a horse at age 54 and I've fallen off 8 times including a broken shoulder but just keep on getting back on.  I love him!!!  

I haven't been here in so long, I feel new...LOL.

How are things with you?

catlvr

@catlvr

You do realize whenever there's one of those, "Whatever happened to...." your name appears.  You really need to stop by the Community forum and say hi to everyone.

Nothing much happening in my life.  I was in your old stomping grounds Thanksgiving weekend.  London is still my favorite city.

The last week of July and the first of August, we rented a house in Ireland and Italy.  Our son and his family will join us mid vacation for 3 days in each country.

A horse? (are you now horselvr?)  A broken shoulder? Oh my.

I remember the stories about your international traveling cats!

Please DO NOT BE A STRANGER! You are missed by many of us.

Honored Contributor

@waterlily wrote:

It looks like they purchased the inventory of jewelry stores going out of business.  I've never seen such ugly designs. Ever!

I have....the same jewelry/designs keep coming back year after year. Either never sold out or "designers" have no imagination & keep doing the same things. Many pieces reminded me of when QVC was all over that gem multicolored rainbow jewelry. So disappointing.

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

In my 22  years fo watching shopping on TV, I have yet to ever been impressed with the Q's selections of gems, always such tiny stones in very small settings, very generic looking.

The settings look pre-made and can be purchased in many of my jewelry catalogues. They're purchased by the size of the stone. The only thing left is drop in the stone & tighten the prongs. Designed? No.

Honored Contributor

The morganite line bracelet is stunning.  The tanzanite ring that sold out was gorgwa. The tsv is very nice for the price, especially in the garnet and blue topaz.

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Valued Contributor

Great thread....I was just telling dh this afternoon that I always enjoy Gem Day on qvc. This is one of the few times I don't see anything that clicks with me, except for a couple of pieces that are $1k or over. Wah!

Honored Contributor

Watching "colors of sapphire" show that I recorded earlier. The pricing just doesn't make sense to me: an 18" faceted sapphire necklace (choice of colors) for $182, but a 7 stone band is $72.48 & where did they come up w/ that strange price with cents?

Respected Contributor

@classic wrote:

@willomenia wrote:
My thoughts are nothing different. Jeff and the blonde lady add nothing to the presentations. He said this morning how rare rhodolite garnet is, what a joke! It's everywhere, even my local jeweler has rhodolite in their store. Imo, they put on these so called experts, raise the cost on jewelry to us us to cover their salary, and try and convince us how informed we now are. News flash qvc, we don't need them!

I'm surprised at Marybeth for saying that.. I still cannot get over the price of that rhodolite garnet bracelet.  I think they get to a point and don't know what to say anymore, and they just babble along

LOL! Your post reminded me of this tune from Steely Dan...... Babylon Sister (or in THIS case babble on sister) Sing along with me!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAuPMJlK92s

Honored Contributor

Jane looks great tonight in the yellow dress.

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I was born in July so my birthstone is ruby and that IS a gemstone. Birthstone rings ARE gemstone rings. They are the same thing.

Ruby is July's birthstone.

ruby ring.gif

Trusted Contributor

@perfumera De La Luz wrote:

Worst gem day I have ever seen on QVC. I miss Peyton.

They are showing old styles at higher prices and so far the new items are not wowing me.

I just watched for a min and Mary Beth was saying that a stone was going to protect against nightmares? Really? Is there a money back guareentee with that claim?

I'm all for the true spiritual qualities of gemstones but there is more false info than truth in that realm so please spare me by using unfounded woo woo as a selling point.

Tell me the weight, where it is mined, if  and how it was treated or enhanced...

I wonder if she was channeling Barbara Bixby.  I do enjoy Barbara talking about how the grasshopper is good luck, etc.  But I have noticed this spirtual selling extending to things like Quacker Factory where Angel talks about a t shirt bringing memories of family, etc.  That's a bit much for me.