Honored Contributor

Re: Your thoughts on Gem Day jewelry

@Shanus wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

In my 22  years fo watching shopping on TV, I have yet to ever been impressed with the Q's selections of gems, always such tiny stones in very small settings, very generic looking.

The settings look pre-made and can be purchased in many of my jewelry catalogues. They're purchased by the size of the stone. The only thing left is drop in the stone & tighten the prongs. Designed? No.

One place with active high end designers & contracted for is at Gem Shopping.  They either have a designer in that day (with tray of his designers) or just his pieces. If you want a jewelry piece designed to what you want, ask them (& yes you pay for that) and they will do it. So a typical loose gem is in the $500.00-$2,000 range per caret.  Then a semi mount (metal & diamonds) is an extra $2,000.00.  Their designers are from Italy, France, Brazil,  and Myanmar.  You can buy loose gems and the semi mount at the same time.  They will mount the gem & diamonds to your specification. The cheapest designed for you is under $1,000.00 but it won't have diamonds. All metal is 14K, 18K or platinum.  They normally don't create in silver, unless you ask. Gems look naked & bland without diamonds...(to me anyway & to them!))  They also sell manufactured pieces from other places,or manufactured at Gem Shopping. They also sell estate jewelry from around the world.

Esteemed Contributor

I was disappointed and not overly impressed with the "new" experts. I was looking for gold and the few items that I saw seemed to be either not in my budbet or the bands were too thin. I also noticed that not too many hosts showed the bands or the under galleries on the rings. Odd? Antonella is great because she presents the item like I shop. I also noticed that even on the more expensive items of braclets or necklaces that the over sized claps were not used. If I'm spending $1500 for a bracklet I don't want a small size lobster claw clasp to hold that on my wrist. Really??? 

Respected Contributor

Antonella seems like a scholar compaired to the others....that's amazing!  Also, she treats the objects like a woman would, with enthusiasm and care. The men are no good, and the other women, a bit lackadaisical or over enthusiastic.

Trusted Contributor

I didn't watch--I never do.  Instead, I perused the items on line.  I wasn't bowled over.  For one thing, there was an awful lot of silver, which is just not for me.  Also, the semiprecious gemstone jewelry was over priced in my opinion, as well as redundant.  Garden-variety citrine, topaz and amethyst are plentiful and cheap, relatively speaking, so why are the stones so tiny and the prices so high?  Also, how much of those same, tired stones do you want to buy?  I have all I need of most of them, and want something different.

I did buy the trio of milky aqua station necklaces--I LOVE that stone and I'm a soft touch when it comes to station necklaces. I'm not into designers and nothing else moved me all that much.