Honored Contributor

Yikes ! jewelry appraisal prices

per piece for insurance purposes isn't cheap is it . I just had one today for just one piece all I can afford to insure. Today's prices would be just too expensive to have done for all the stuff. Afraid not to carry it if I should lose the item or get stolen, etc.

Glad I like Brighton gonna have to be happy with their selection. LOL

Respected Contributor

Re: Yikes ! jewelry appraisal prices

@SharkE I agree with regard to the expense of insuring jewelry. Here are some possible solutions:

1. Only insure the most expensive pieces. Or the ones that would be very hard to replace, like one-of-a-kind pieces created by a goldsmith (just an example). If you have pieces passed down to you by a beloved relative, unless they are very expensive, no amount of money can give back to you the sentiment attached to those items, so insuring them might not be warranted but that’s your decision.

2. Buy a heavy jewelry safe that can’t just be carried out of your house or buy a smaller safe and have it bolted to the floor in a closet or someplace out of sight of visitors. Develop a habit of putting your jewelry away each night to avoid misplacing those pieces in your own home and never finding them again. (I learned this the hard way. I think my cat batted a 14kt earring of mine off the end table and I never found it! Got lost in plush carpet and vacuumed up?)

3. Install an alarm security system in your home and use it every time you aren’t home. 

4. If you have some very nice pieces or more delicate pieces like tanzanite for instance, that you find yourself wearing only a few times a year, store them in a bank safe deposit box and only take them out for those special occasions. Don’t procrastinate about returning them to box  after use. 

5. Take a minute once in awhile, to check the clasps on your pieces especially those you wear more frequently. Use a magnifier or loupe to see smallest details in case something is lose. Also make sure the clasps are done correctly each time you put on a piece. Take an extra minute to do this before leaving. Just yesterday I was in a hurry and forgot to secure the safety latch on my bracelet, didn’t realize until I was on my way home. Never take rings off to wash your hands when you’re away from home. And if you get cold in a movie theater don’t sit on your hands! I lost a gold pinky ring by doing this. ☹️

Honored Contributor

Yep, I'm awaiting on the insurance to get back to me on what it's gonna cost to insure my solitaire.   Scheduled item, no deductible !

Ouchy !  Hadn't had a new appraisal since 2016 and since changing insurance I knew they would require it, so, paid 70 to have it done.

Now, awaiting the bad news !   wahhhhhhhhhh

Respected Contributor

@Kalli excellent advice.

Honored Contributor

Read #5 of Kalli's post carefully.  I have lost two gold bracelets during the winter by having coat sleeves pull off box insert clasp bracelets.  I now only wear those in warm weather.  One was leaving a huge birthday party at a restaurant and one was at a Taco Bell drive-through.  Of course I checked back but no one turned them in.   

Honored Contributor

Why I can't take a chance on my diamond solitaire.  I've had since 2005

and is now valued up in 5 figures.

Could I not insure it and could I afford to replace it, yes, out of pocket, but, DH wouldn't . Retired now and things we need more then diamond rings, so, have to urp it up and pay the premium

1#amj.gif

Respected Contributor

@depglass Great advice, especially for those of us who live in states with cold winters. Sorry you lost your bracelets. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My irreplaceable stuff is in a box at my bank, it's very expensive loose gems and  rare coins mostly. I would be foolish to keep that stuff inside my house even if I had a safe for it. I'm not going to take a risk. The rest of my jewelry is covered by my standard homeowners insurance. I don't have any extra coverage for that. 

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Kalli   

Safe Deposit Boxes Aren’t Safe

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/19/business/safe-deposit-box-theft.html

Believe me, a safety deposit box is safer than my house by a long shot.