Honored Contributor

Re: Would you buy a $7000 ring from the Q?

If I could afford to drop seven thousand on a ring then I might give QVC a whirl, but I'd more than likely buy somewhere in person. As far as it goes, were I buying a paraiba tourmaline, I'd want one nice size stone and not all those small stones, though the ring is pretty.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

No

Trusted Contributor

@Spacrazy wrote:

No.

Ditto.

Honored Contributor

I watch Gem shopping Network a lot.  And I see $29,000.00 got for diamond bracelets, rings, etc.  It averages about $3,000.00 to $12,000.00 on anytime I tune on.  Rumour is that a lot celebrities buy there.  I believe it.   There some wealthy buyers out there.  Some people buy gems for investment (talking unheated jewels like Kashmere Sapphires, the fabled Paraibas . (Which really just a gorgeous Tourmmaline. On QVC, it's was $7,000.00.  On Gem Shopping I see $37,000.00 and deeper, richer color..  Serious gems are for investment.  But mostly diamonds.  The most expensive of all time I ever saw, was a Kashmere Sapphire for like 10 carats.  It was on their red carpet show.  i don't know if it was ever sold. It cost. 1.5 million.  Precious and exotic gems always go up in price.  If you have diamonds and gold/platinum on your gems.  Well, it's worth real money. You see rubies & sapphires go on auctions at Sotheby all the time. Remember 18K gold and Platinum will drive up the cost.

Honored Contributor

Wouldn't spend that much on any jewelry. Might spend that much on furniture, carpeting, or to start an education fund for grands, but not on a ring.

Honored Contributor

I'm reasonably sophisticated about "fine" jewelry, and there was a line of "mosaic" diamond jewelry years ago on the q that I LOVED.

I ordered one of the rings and was very impressed when I received it, but I was afraid the setting, with its many very small stones, wouldn't be tough enough for my hectic life style, so I returned it.

It wasn't  $7,000, but as I recall, it was more than $3,000.

Honored Contributor

@Calgal2too wrote:

Nothing against QVC.   Would you make that kind of investment with an online shopping network?

there was a paraiba and diamond 14k ring on just now

@Calgal2too   At this stage in my life, I wouldn't spend that much on any jewelry, but especially on something online that I can't see up close and examine....even with extra payments on a Q card (which I don't have). 😜

Honored Contributor

@Sammycat1 wrote:

Yes.  I've got a month to have my jeweler examine and appraise it-- before I return it if need be.

@Sammycat1   During that 30 days, the way mine and most charge cards work, that amount would be on your card and the payment due within the 30 days before you returned the jewelry. Then you wait a few months for a return. Uh, no way!!!

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

I watch Gem shopping Network a lot.  And I see $29,000.00 got for diamond bracelets, rings, etc.  It averages about $3,000.00 to $12,000.00 on anytime I tune on.  Rumour is that a lot celebrities buy there.  I believe it.   There some wealthy buyers out there.  Some people buy gems for investment (talking unheated jewels like Kashmere Sapphires, the fabled Paraibas . (Which really just a gorgeous Tourmmaline. On QVC, it's was $7,000.00.  On Gem Shopping I see $37,000.00 and deeper, richer color..  Serious gems are for investment.  But mostly diamonds.  The most expensive of all time I ever saw, was a Kashmere Sapphire for like 10 carats.  It was on their red carpet show.  i don't know if it was ever sold. It cost. 1.5 million.  Precious and exotic gems always go up in price.  If you have diamonds and gold/platinum on your gems.  Well, it's worth real money. You see rubies & sapphires go on auctions at Sotheby all the time. Remember 18K gold and Platinum will drive up the cost.

@songbird   There are jewelry stores (not chains) and areas in NYC that sell diamonds and other jewelry at wholesale prices...at least 1/3 less than what you all are seeing online and on shopping channels. I never pay retail prices. Just think of the 200% markup and that's just low average. 

Honored Contributor

No, their gems are way overpriced.