Respected Contributor

Re: Would SOMEONE please tell Ms. Killinger. . .

In my estimation QVC has no interest in an taking an inclusive approach to religion/spirituality in their sales pitches. Their concern as a business is making as much money as they can and I expect they assume that most of their audience is of the Christian faith. I agree that if a host is going to talk about a religious figure, they should have their facts somewhat straight.

Valued Contributor

@Sooner

S.Killinger is a spontaneous speaker, and they tend to talk first, think later.  I was raised as a Lutheran, and I'm now a non-denominational Christian.  As a person who has unfortunately had several very negative experiences with so-called 'religious people,' I am quite sensitive to being preached-at, because the last time I was preached at was by a neighbor who was a youth pastor @ his church who berated me for not letting my 5 year old son run the neighborhood unsupervised, so he could play with other kids.  (I let them play in our yard, under my supervision).  This 'youth pastor' ended up being a pedophile who had illegally traded houses so he could escape detection by his parole officer.  I found out by looking our middle-class neighborhood zip code up on a website, after watching a news blurb about how important it is for each of us to do that, now-a-days. Imagine my shock to see my neighbor's face on a law enforcement site, warning about pedophiles!  So, if someone wants to preach to me now-a-days, they will get a very cold, suspicious reception from me.  That & other negative experiences has discolored my faith in people (not faith in my spiritual beliefs, which is different). 

That story was told so I could convey to you that I am one of those people who do not take kindly to being preached to, but although I have noticed a lot more sharing-of-faith stories from several hosts lately, I have not yet gotten that vibe that it is being over-done to the point of making me feel uncomfortable, although sometimes lately it has come a bit too close.  Usually, it is done within the context of showing items of faith, such as the Soul-Speak ring or the cross that Kerstein L. has inspired in the Bronzo collection, which I love.  I'm guessing that S/K was mentioning the new faith-related items that are in a new line inspired by the recent visit to the states by the pope, under which circumstances I can see where it is appropriate to talk about faith-related issues-and this subject should be carefully researched by hosts & vendors, so they can give informed & factual information about the products.   I didn't see the presentation you mentioned, personally; but I agree that it cannot be said that the Pope is the leader for ALL Christian faiths.  There are many similariites or cross-overs, but he is not an all-encompassing leader for all Christians.  But it sounds as if she somehow didn't realize this fact.  I'm sure someone has clued her in to this by now (if not, I vote for Antoinella for that task!), & although it is irksome, I would probably just consider chalking it down to the price we pay sometimes to listen to a spontaneous speaker, lol.  They get a bit whacky sometimes, but they are usually more interesting than listening to someone who just gives careful canned robot responses all the time.   

Lastly, although one of the personality types that is an immediate turn-off to me is someone who pats their own back a bit too heavily as a self-professed Christian (they are usually the worst at how they treat people, in my own experience; & I get suspicious that they are salespeople or possibly even someone bad (the pedophile) who are trying to get people to trust them by loudly talking about how 'religious' they are), I still like to hear people's viewpoints if they are respectfully stated & not pushy.  Pushy = push me away, in my book. Just my personal opinions, FWIW.  

Thank you for helping to clue people in to something that is seldom discussed anymore.  Although it is interesting to realize that each Christian denomination doesn't have their own individual well-known leaders, as the Roman Catholics do.  Never really thought about that distinction before.  You'd think there would be more out there tooting their horns?

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Esteemed Contributor

I assume she meant to say "Catholic" instead of Christian.

Respected Contributor

Maybe someone at HQ will pass the info along to her. I don't find what she said particularly offensive and I don't think she meant it as offensive but I can see why some may raise an eyebrow. If the Q is going to offer religious items they may want to educate the hosts on what they are selling and who their audience/customer is. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

@Karnerblue wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Karnerblue wrote:

Is it really so awful that she, or any host, speak of faith in general as a positive thing?  She's not pushing any religion on any one.  I never hear her "preach" as you put it.  She talks about faith, so what is so wrong in that.  If you're not a faithful person or you don't believe in a religion, and it's that painful or so offensive to you then don't listen.  You're not being brainwashed.

I am a person of faith and was raised in church on Sunday and am a Christian.  I am expressing an opinion and am not here to argue.  I've said how it strikes me, enough said.  You don't agree; so we'll agree to disagree.  I simply don't see it the way you do.

Was not looking to argue.  We had one exchange which I thought was a disucssion.  I guess you could not come up with an answer to my question as to what she said that was inappropriate. 

Ok. You insist.  To ME, I speak for nobody else here, it is inappropriate to use one's faith and stories of your personal hardships to hawk jewelry.  I think it is ok to say it is an expression of one's faith and such, but beyond that, no.

Respected Contributor

I do not think QVC should sell so many items of faith.  This is new to QVC.  Considering that they have many different religios watching, it is hard not to offend someone.

Respected Contributor

@culebra wrote:

I do not think QVC should sell so many items of faith.  This is new to QVC.  Considering that they have many different religios watching, it is hard not to offend someone.

So I guess what you're saying is offering a line of faith-based jewelry is offending who?  A non-religious person?  QVC offers many items and it's their choice to offer a variety.  Why would anyone that does not wear jewelry of this type be watching if it offends them.  You and others have a choice to watch and QVC has a choice as to the items they offer.  Enough said.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Respected Contributor

@Serenity-Now, Wow.  Sounds like you summed up your thoughts based on one experience.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@culebra wrote:

I think it is fine to sell religious stuff. It is so not new to QVC.They have done it for a long time. There is no reason anyone should be offended any more than vegans should be offended when  they sell hams, or steaks.  It's a store on tv. They have  variety(well the variety is not so greAt anymore,LOL) and that's good. Everyone is hopefully not so easily offended by having their eyes and ears exposed to religious items.  I don't know how selling religious items is offensive. Everyone is getting too offended and PC about religion these days. What is  a problem for me,and many viewers, is hosts (Shawn is the worst) selling things in a overtly preachy way. My mom is reAlly a religious woman and I might want to get her an item. I don't want to sit through a prayer meeting or sad stories  told by a host as a sales pitch. There is a difference in selling and using a strong religious sales pitch. It is,also an issue when hosts do not have facts straight and just blather on about a topic. 

Honored Contributor

I didn't hear Shawn and I've stated a number of times how I feel when she presents certain jewelry pieces, especially her Hear My Soul Speak jewelry.

What I'm more offended about is that QVC turned the Pope's visit to the US into a selling event.