Super Contributor

Re: Will QVC Discontinue Jewelry?

On 3/11/2014 VegasBusinessWoman said:
On 3/10/2014 chickenbutt said:

I think JTV is just about as bad, if not worse, than QVC. They sell a lot of costume these days and the actual 'fine' jewelry is not so good. Several years ago you could actually get nice 14k and 18k gold there. Now most of that is 'embraced' (read-costume vermeil).

I saw, on the guide, a show that was just gold the other day and figured I'd check it out. First of all, the host was that one with the voice that makes you want to shove a pencil through your head. But I figured I'd turn it way down and see the offerings.

OMG - first of all, it was all 10k gold. Secondly, it was so funny how she must have said a hundred times 'it's real gold - real real reeeeeeeeeeeeeeel gold'. yikes. Funny, though! Smiley Happy

It was all junky looking. Too bad they don't get back into nice gold. There is still plenty of time to sell costume jewelry and their gem parcels (bad) or diamonds (really bad!). But more gold shows would probably really pump up their sales.

Gotta agree with you about JTV, chicken. I've never watched, but used to buy nice-size gemstones pendants and earrings in gold from them in years gone by. Now, mostly costume-type stuff which isn't what I want to buy. Have you noticed, though, that the nicer pendants are either in silver or that Stratify line? I've considered buying some of those for the stones and having my jeweler reset them in gold. That'll be the only way I might get what I want.

JTV sells a lot of stones set in silver. That's what I buy. I don't buy their costume or vermeil stuff.......

Trusted Contributor

On 3/8/2014 millieshops said:
On 3/8/2014 BlingQueen022 said:
On 3/8/2014 BlingQueen022 said: They never get new vendors. They show the same ole jewelry over and over again. They offer no good deals like ShopHQ does. I'm not surprised that sales are down. I haven't purchased jewelry from Qvc in quite some time.

Those statistics show sales are up, not down. Be careful. Your diamonds must be blinding you.

Isn't that a good thing. Have a lousy weekend.

Of course it's good. Diamonds are my favorite bling.

The bling is dulled by your personality.

You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. Smiley Sad
Honored Contributor

On 3/11/2014 Hibi said:
On 3/11/2014 JB said:

Just my opinion.......I think they are trying to hard with designers. I loved the days when they had gold and silver shows and had quality jewelry. I don't buy things for a name behind it. I never heard of half of the people they call designers. I never did and I never will but that is just me. I can't see paying much more for something because it has someone's name on it.

I miss the days of emeralds, sapphires and rubies. I even have some diamonique set in 14k gold.

I am not one of the biggest shoppers here but I do miss the quality of some things. I am not a big jewelry person and I don't want costume jewelry. That is just me. Please don't be hard of me for that. I know lots of you are.

Yes, remember when the Q used to highlight the birthstone of the month with shows during the month (or previous month)? Cant remember the last time I saw one of those......

If we're lucky, they might do one a month, usually at an hour when most people aren't watching... You know, gotta save all the prime time hours for all those fascinating devices and appliances that they show endlessly and often...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

On 3/8/2014 BlingQueen022 said: They never get new vendors. They show the same ole jewelry over and over again. They offer no good deals like ShopHQ does. I'm not surprised that sales are down. I haven't purchased jewelry from Qvc in quite some time.

Those statistics show sales are up, not down. Be careful. Your diamonds must be blinding you.

Millie, you need to re-read the excerpt from the financial report. All areas increased in sales except jewelry.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Maybe it's a denial kind of thing. You see, for some folks nothing can ever be wrong where QVC is concerned...

Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

They need to cast a wider net. Merge. Acquire.

Trusted Contributor

On 3/11/2014 Hibi said:
On 3/11/2014 VegasBusinessWoman said:
On 3/10/2014 chickenbutt said:

I think JTV is just about as bad, if not worse, than QVC. They sell a lot of costume these days and the actual 'fine' jewelry is not so good. Several years ago you could actually get nice 14k and 18k gold there. Now most of that is 'embraced' (read-costume vermeil).

I saw, on the guide, a show that was just gold the other day and figured I'd check it out. First of all, the host was that one with the voice that makes you want to shove a pencil through your head. But I figured I'd turn it way down and see the offerings.

OMG - first of all, it was all 10k gold. Secondly, it was so funny how she must have said a hundred times 'it's real gold - real real reeeeeeeeeeeeeeel gold'. yikes. Funny, though! Smiley Happy

It was all junky looking. Too bad they don't get back into nice gold. There is still plenty of time to sell costume jewelry and their gem parcels (bad) or diamonds (really bad!). But more gold shows would probably really pump up their sales.

Gotta agree with you about JTV, chicken. I've never watched, but used to buy nice-size gemstones pendants and earrings in gold from them in years gone by. Now, mostly costume-type stuff which isn't what I want to buy. Have you noticed, though, that the nicer pendants are either in silver or that Stratify line? I've considered buying some of those for the stones and having my jeweler reset them in gold. That'll be the only way I might get what I want.

JTV sells a lot of stones set in silver. That's what I buy. I don't buy their costume or vermeil stuff.......

Agreed, Hibi, and I have bought some lovely, substantial gemstone/silver pendants there. Silver isn't my first choice, though. JTV used to sell some killer gemstones set in gold; now they are puny little things of one or two carats. That's my beef where JTVis concerned

Respected Contributor

Instead of discontinuing they should re-consider who their customers are.

Not many of us can afford ""designer"" sterling silver.

Bring back quality generic type SS of yesteryear.....it IS possible. SS is not that expensive.

Get rid of the junk too.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Super Contributor

Totally agree! And with gemstones! I shop at ShopHQ and JTV for my gemstones now...

Respected Contributor

The hosts are constantly telling us ""we cut out the middle man and pass the savings on to you"".

Then why is it that I can get beautiful quality pieces in other places at better prices.....including brick and mortar stores?

Hmmmmmm?

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy