Trusted Contributor

Re: Will QVC Discontinue Jewelry?

I'd hate to lose the Q as a jewelry source but it wouldn't kill me. I buy from them about 25% of the time; I've never bought anything from eBay. There's plenty out there to be had in other places and certainly with lower S&H fees, but I have, for the most part, been satisfied with the gold I've gotten from the Q.

Once I have purchased whatever pieces have gotten my attention, I go elsewhere until there is a new grouping to choose from. The costume jewelry, bronzo and stuff like that I just ignore. Not interested. Need a lot of places to exercise my jewelry jones.

Honored Contributor

I guess as long as people will buy the junk jewelry, they'll keep selling it. That's the basic formula.

Last year I purchased one thing - a pair of EternaGold earrings. I really like them, too. But most of it is costume now, what with all the vermeil, bronze, silver, other mystery metal junk. They don't even seem to try to do a halfway decent job with that stuff anymore because it even looks cheaper than ever. But - people will buy it, so they'll keep selling it.

Honored Contributor

When I think about it, the only shows I would miss are Hagit Gorali, John Hardy and Ultra-fine silver.

Super Contributor

On 3/7/2014 jetts_mom said:

I would think not, but I do feel they need to revamp their jewelry offerings. They've put their "eggs" in so few "baskets" so to speak, over the past couple of years, and then they beat those lines to death.

I agree.

However ... $5.8 billion for the year. {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

Honored Contributor

QVC seems to run to extremes with their jewelry offerings. On one end they have the over-priced Ripka/Dawkins/Bixby/Hardy and the other the Bronzo, gel-filled stuff, poor quality silver that you can bend with two fingers. In the middle we have scant choice like the Israeli artisians who fly 8,000 miles for an hour on-air to present one item or a slot in the middle of the night. Why do they put up with that? There are a couple more like Carolyn Pollack who isn't on very often these days and UltraFine. The scheduling is tipped heavily in favor of the expensive stuff. BBSD was a joke with mostly cheap junk, and they probably wonder why their sales are down?
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

The bottom line is they need to PROGRAM and PRESENT more variety, more gemstones, more gold, less Bronzo, less black spinel (or whatever their current 'on trend' gemstone happens to be), fewer simulants (including DMQ) and less Ripka. And while they might have more jewelry available than what they present, the pickings in gemstones are slim.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

On 3/8/2014 kachina624 said: QVC seems to run to extremes with their jewelry offerings. On one end they have the over-priced Ripka/Dawkins/Bixby/Hardy and the other the Bronzo, gel-filled stuff, poor quality silver that you can bend with two fingers. In the middle we have scant choice like the Israeli artisians who fly 8,000 miles for an hour on-air to present one item or a slot in the middle of the night. Why do they put up with that? There are a couple more like Carolyn Pollack who isn't on very often these days and UltraFine. The scheduling is tipped heavily in favor of the expensive stuff. BBSD was a joke with mostly cheap junk, and they probably wonder why their sales are down?

I've often wondered that myself, but then thought that maybe it's easier for those designers because then they aren't fighting jet lag, and are more on their normal "time clock".

Honored Contributor

Well, they definitely need to re-think what they offer ..... and stop shoving Ripka, Bronzo and black spinel down our throats. Enough already!! {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Super Contributor

With programming as bad as today.....gardening ALL DAY....I never turned them on once.
Trusted Contributor

On 3/8/2014 stevieb said:

The bottom line is they need to PROGRAM and PRESENT more variety, more gemstones, more gold, less Bronzo, less black spinel (or whatever their current 'on trend' gemstone happens to be), fewer simulants (including DMQ) and less Ripka. And while they might have more jewelry available than what they present, the pickings in gemstones are slim.

I second that, stevie! How many blue topaz, amethyst and citrine pieces do you want to own? There are sooooo many colored gemstones, I don't understand why they don't show a wider variety, particularly in pendants with matching earrings set in gold.