Honored Contributor

Why continue to sell a shipment of defective items?

Featured on the bottom of my QVC intro page are the hoop earrings with round stones.  The first 6 reviews I read note missing stones, a bunch of missing stones.   So QVC accepted a shipment of earrings that were obviously defective, especially in the welo opal choice. Back when I was in retail a shipment like this would have been bounced back to the seller.  I'm seeing this more and more lately from QVC, like my Lock & Lock cereal containers that will not open via the pour spout.  So disappointing.   

Honored Contributor

Re: Why continue to sell a shipment of defective items?

@depglassMaybe there's a % used to decide when to abandon an item?

6 out of a typical store order IS a lot, but 6 complaints from a typical QVC Lock n LOck offering wouldn't deter me one bit.  But, yes, I'd ask for replacement or compensation or I'd make a return.

Honored Contributor

QVC did this to Martha Stewart's fragile faux bois planter on stand and wrought iron tree.  I liked both so much, I returned the broken planter and received another broken planter.  So did many others.  One gal purchased 5...all were broken.  To top it off, a few called CS who replaced the planters without returns at no charge.  Those buyers told everyone in their Reviews they received free replacements and didn't have to return their planters.  Well, when others heard this, like me, I asked too. 

Wow! I was told how did QVC know I wasn't lying and just wanted another planter free.  I must return the planter or no refund. One gal in reviews at least received a $25 credit.  Others didn't  So, then I emailed the Social email address of Customer Servicie.  Again, told I must return the planter for a refund.  

It was a mess packing these broken planters in large just about destroyed thin wobbly cardboard boxes loaded with holes they received during shipping and broken foam packing for the return. The packing was cheap foam that broke into hundreds of pieces and snowflakes all over the room and my clothes.  One of the boxes was split open lengthwise and the packing was falling out in pieces when I received it.  I used a whole roll of packing tape on the box to get it in shape that USPS would take it.  Although, I asked for a $4 refund for the tape, didn't get it, not that I expected it.  

But, despite, numerous customers complaining about the cheap boxes and foam packing, and that their planters were broken, QVC continued to sell them and also on AS IS, too.  

Finally, they were taken off the website after 2 reviewers, me one of them, suggested QVC was selling broken returns and had been shipped around the country previously. The boxes looked like they had been dragged from China. 

Suddenly the planters appeared again several months later.  Reluctantly,  I tried again.  This time, the planters were made more sturdy and packing was much much better, but why make customers angry pulling this kind of stuff and continue to sell them.

As for the tree, it took 3 tries before I received one less defective...well, the third had the same defect, just not as bad as the first two. I was able to drill a hole so the two pieces fit together properly.  Others had complained about the defects, too, a few saying they had their husbands drill holes, as well.  This is poor design and quality control. 

What made me more angry than the poor quality control and reselling defective products, was QVC's attitude. To actually imply I might be lying.  Wow!  How insulting! I purchased many things from this company, always paid on time...how any company can stay in business a long time with this attitude is beyond me.  Even Walmart has excellent customer service.

The only satisfaction I got was the planter and tree are unique and beautiful...conversation pieces. Actually, I shouldn't buy anything from QVC anymore, but sometimes, they have unique items and have been pleased with those purchases. 

I have cut down on buying significantly, though. 

I won't be surprised if this post is removed.  

Sorry for the book. 

Trusted Contributor

I think they purged experienced customer service employees years ago and now have to depend on new hires who frankly don't give a hoot probably being low paid.

Trusted Contributor

I'm sorry.  I meant to say they purged the quality control employees who knew what they were doing.  Those are the ones you can't afford to let go.