Super Contributor

Re: Why are we not told where the jewelry is made anymore?

On 1/25/2014 kachina624 said: I recently read that some crafty Chinese manufacturers have moved their workers and facilities to Italy so they can say their product is "made in Italy".

The Italian government is (supposedly) proud of the Made in Italy branding, and everything exported has to pass quality control and review. So, if the Chinese move to Italy, I don't see the problem.

Super Contributor

On 1/27/2014 Serpentia said:

I have no idea why, but anything that just said "imported" is a thing I would skip.

Champagne? Ferraris? Imported can be desirable.

Esteemed Contributor

Unless a piece of jewelry is made in Italy, the vendor and the host don't usually brag where an item is made, especially if it's made in China. I guess made in China doesn't have a cachet to it. I notice that artisan handmade silver jewelry usually gets a plug as to what country it's made in if it's Indonesia or Nepal, but India..not so much unless it's 22K gold.

QVC isn't the only shopping channel that doesn't like to advertise where their jewelry is made though, TSC does the same thing as most of their jewelry is made offshore even if the company's HQ is in Canada. A jewelry line sold on TSC brags that the stones are mined in Alberta, Canada but they never say on air that most of their jewelry line is now made in China. You would only learn that from reading their website though.

Valued Contributor

I don't want to sound paranoid, but it does sound like QVC is trying to hide the country of origin. It could be that they are trying to comply with some complicated law, but if so, why not post that online for us to read?

The jewelry shown on the Or Paz show clearly stated Made in Israel. Are there any Taxco shows anymore? Or if Suarti returns, we could see what her jewelry says.

Valued Contributor

Trying to be an informed consumer is getting more difficult when companies do not give all the information needed. On air presentations of clothing with no fabric listed or told...cosmetics now are also ""imported""...jewelry from Italy is bragged about but when it is from China the description is ""imported"" and the online photos are blurred to hide the country of origin...sneaky and not appreciated by me. It is too bad companies and consumers are not a little more eager to support home grown items.

Trusted Contributor

Even the Turkish pieces aren't being marked in the written description and I'm really annoyed. For some of the pieces on Gold Rush, they specifically said in the presentations that the pieces were made in Turkey, yet in the description is just says "imported". This is outrageous. So I'm not buying the explanation that it's because of different "components". I think it's just to cut work in putting up descriptions. From the state of the descriptions, whoever does them can't even handle simple measurements anymore. There are so many errors.

QVC many of us want to know where the pieces are made! I do buy Chinese jewelry, but for certain types of pieces I need to know. For instance, Byzantine is done beautifully in Turkey so I'm not going to buy a Chinese Byzantine (I'm sure they will be making them some day, if not already).

Honored Contributor

I used to get from QVC:

Electronice--now never, I buy locally or from Amazon

Kitchen Appliances--now get locally, no "Made for QVC" for me, or order from reputable online source

Jewelry--now only buy locally

T-shirts--I now buy from Land's End or LL Bean or Talbots

Kitchen tools and gadgets--Williams-Sonoma or local gourmet shops

This is issue is all part of why I don't buy from QVC. I used to know what I was getting. Now I have no idea whether something nice or pure junk will show up and I won't take the chance and deal with the ensuing hassles.

Super Contributor

Why is it so difficult for people to understand that the laws have changed?

This topic is going to pop up for years, I can see it now.

Valued Contributor

I am so annoyed by this!!! . I like to buy jewelry made in Italy so I can be assured it's nickel free.