Super Contributor

Re: Why are we not told where the jewelry is made anymore?

On 1/24/2014 Yuban3 said:

They don't list because each item # can have components that come from different countries.

For example, that the tsv, one bracelet, can can have a clasp made in one country, while the links are made in another.

Then another bracelet, the exact same item # mind you, can have the clasp made in country #3, and the links made in country #4, and so on.

Yes, and the laws are changing, too (blame California).

In the meantime, there are now at least three conflicting definitions for “Made in [insert favorite geographic location].” Two definitions rely upon the percentage of manufacturing cost that is domestic but use different standards of 51% and “all or virtually all.” The third looks at the parts rather than the sum of the whole and requires that each part be produced domestically. The likely result is consumer confusion and a trap for the unwary advertiser.

QVC is just trying to cover themselves.

Trusted Contributor

Sounds like there is something the Q is ashamed of, and they're trying to hide it from us. Just another reason for me to not buy jewelry from the Q. Any reputable seller would give us this information! Ladies, be warned! Of course, who would want to claim making all those resin trinkets?

Respected Contributor

Blame California for what?
Super Contributor

On 1/24/2014 chessylady said: Blame California for what?

Being the leader in changing the laws that say where something is made.

Valued Contributor

<h1> Why are we not told where the jewelry is made anymore?</h1>

I'm surprised that -

This title statement is not in Caps.

There isn't (more) outrage.

There isn't a call for a boycott.

Perhaps the most of the ladies that care about where their jewelry comes from have already moved on or no longer post here.

Honored Contributor

I recently read that some crafty Chinese manufacturers have moved their workers and facilities to Italy so they can say their product is ""made in Italy"".
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

I've noticed this in some catalogs lately too. I'm pretty sure it used to be a law that anything imported should clearly state the country of origin. I think Congress has been doing more de-regulating and that looser requirements probably went into effect the first of the year. Businesses probably lobbied for the change cause they were losing sales from more and more consumers refusing to buy goods made in China.
Super Contributor

Well - if its made in Italy they will label it - otherwise not - I do see Made in Turkey alot

Occasional Contributor

I have no idea why, but anything that just said "imported" is a thing I would skip.

I am trying to limit my Chinese purchases. Why? because I am tee'd off at those people. I dislike their ways. I dislike their marketplaces full of dogs and cats for sale for dinner; and they kill the animal while you wait. Woo-hoo, right?

I am tired of every last elephant, tiger, shark, lion and rhino on this planet dying [and they will kill every last one that isn't in a zoo, you just wait] to go on their dinner plate and/or to use as some Bronze Age "sexual aid" potion. LOL! It would be funny if it were not so sad.

I am tired of their factory ships Hoovering up entire square miles of sea-life, and then they jettison anything that isn't a tuna.

I am tired of them strapping Angora rabbits to a board and then harvesting their fur by yanking it off the rabbit, as the rabbit screams in pain.

Honey badger JUST DONT CARE, they prove this every day & when they want my business again, they can join the rest of us in the 21st century, and stop with the torture and killing of these animals. And they can be a little nicer to their own citizens while they are at it.

Boycotting China to the extent that I can. And yes, every piece of jewelry that I buy, I check to see where it came from. Not telling me means no sale.

Valued Contributor

Sorry to get off topic, but this is important also.

I don't recall where I read it but recently there was an article somewhere about China processing chicken for US consumption with no US government oversight.