Honored Contributor

Re: Why Smart People Buy CZ Engagement Rings

@Big Sister wrote:

I remember hearing or reading years ago that natural diamonds are not rare and it's because of the Cartels holding them back from the marketplace that makes them "rare."

Diamonds are like a commodity.

Market manipulated to control price.

Add  to that the unethical harvesting.

Valued Contributor

I have two diamonds rings . One is a band ring I got from Effy for  Macy's over 15 years ago, the diamonds do not scream at  you, but the design, stroll work is beautiful. I do have a 10 diamond (over a carat) band ring I size down to a pinkie ring.I had this ring for over 25 years, the diamonds are are not loose and the sparkle is great, but does not blind you. I admit I am rather into the artistic designs  rather than diamonds or cz's.  Also I buy what I like, not for a investment,but because I like it.

Esteemed Contributor

Let me see... why I don't wear a real diamond.  My mothers real diamond was changed out by a TRUSTED jeweler.  My daughter caught it... it ended up being a CZ and my daughter was a gemologist living in another state at the time.    And then there was the incident that my mother was pushed down, roughed up and her diamond was stolen... her necklace.  And in my case I was washing dishes, hit my engagement ring hard against the sink.. broke off a piece .. I kid you not and then I put it away and it was later stolen by someone in the house to repair something.  So I decided at that point ENOUGH..

Honored Contributor

I prefer moissanite to diamonds.  I have 14k pieces that date back 20 years and they are as white, sparkling, and gorgeous as ever.  And they cost less than quality diamonds.

There are now different grades of moissanite which offers people options too.  Some people say certain moissanite stones have a yellowish/greenish tinge.  None of mine have this but it doesn't mean that some of the super cheap moissanite might not.  

IMO, I'd never want a CZ.  I can spot CZ a mile away.  The depth of shine and sparkle is minimal and there is a flatness to CZ that you don't get in moissanite or other clear gems.   The industry would have to really step up with a miracle (not a coating that would wear off) to get me to buy a CZ. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
Does Qvc still own Diamonique? Seems like the quality isn't the same. Think it's a personal choice. I love sapphire's chose gifting my engagement ring to Son & DIL..magnificent Ceylon blue with Diamonds set in platinum. Masterpiece which would cost small fortune. High quailty Sapphire or Emeralds cost more and imo give uniqueness to status quo. Princess Diana's ring fine example.
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:
 My diamond was purchased 49 yrs. ago on 47th St. (the diamond district) in NY city. It was a ridiculously low price....under $3000 for 2.5 carats. It is now appraised for $32,000. So to me and others who can find a good deal, it's an investment. 

@Shanus  I would be afraid to wear it for fear of getting robbed or losing it.  Or, I'd be getting it checked every week to be sure the setting was secure... I suppose you can do that yourself. 

Have you finished any of the wedding bracelets?  I'm anxious to see one and I think others are too. 

Bridal order bracelets: Interesting story. After she had added 2 more bracelets to the order for her flower girl & don't remember who else, the cost to her was getting pretty high and I called her to come over to discuss price & make sure I had everything in writing so I wouldn't get stuck. She had seen the 1st one I made w/ my initial cut out and was thrilled...didn't mind the cost (although I thought it was quite extravagant for bridesmaids, Mom, MIL, etc.). After our meeting, she said her wedding was going way over budget...."Champagne taste and beer pocketbook".

She asked if I had started on the other bracelets & I knew she was going to cancel. No worries. At her second consultation, when she saw the sample, I had written in the contract that once I had purchased the silver, if for any reason, she cancelled the order, she'd be responsible for the cost of silver and any bracelets made up to that point (time and materials). My butt was covered. She wrote me a check for $550. After almost 25 years, I've learned the hard way to be sure there are no "outs" & I don't get stuck.

My diamond wedding set: The price 49 years ago was a steal. Would never pay the insured value now!! The fact that the rings are insured for replacement value, I feel OK wearing them every day & do check my prongs, etc. weekly before I put them in sonic cleaner. On vacation, I wear a Diamonique plat. clad eternity band similar to the Amy Stran's diamond wedding band. No use tempting fate!!!

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

Let me see... why I don't wear a real diamond.  My mothers real diamond was changed out by a TRUSTED jeweler.  My daughter caught it... it ended up being a CZ and my daughter was a gemologist living in another state at the time.    And then there was the incident that my mother was pushed down, roughed up and her diamond was stolen... her necklace.  And in my case I was washing dishes, hit my engagement ring hard against the sink.. broke off a piece .. I kid you not and then I put it away and it was later stolen by someone in the house to repair something.  So I decided at that point ENOUGH..

Insurance would cover all those incidents. All my fine jewelry, purchased or inherited is insured for replacement value. Diamonds, by the way, will burn to nothing in a house fire. Scary thought, but does happen. 

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

@Big Sister wrote:

I remember hearing or reading years ago that natural diamonds are not rare and it's because of the Cartels holding them back from the marketplace that makes them "rare."

Diamonds are like a commodity.

Market manipulated to control price.

Add  to that the unethical harvesting.

Good diamonds...clarity, color, carat size, and the cut (the 4 Cs) makes a diamond valuable. Rare? Maybe something the size of the Hope Diamond is rare. 

Honored Contributor

@Big Sister wrote:

No one's holding back diamonds from the marketplace. If you're in a major, large city, jewelry stores carry any size or shape you could want. Price would be the only factor holding back a purchase.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624. Thanks for a great article. Summed up nicely why I am not crazy about diamonds. With so many beautiful gemstones in the world, I just can't get overly excited about that one, and for all the reasons your post pointed out.