Valued Contributor

Re: Why I have not made a Jai purchase

I really love some of the Jai designs. 

What I think of as the 'Hallmark' line is not for me but I can see the demand for it. 
On the one hand, I wish these pieces had been separated into a sub-brand. Pieces like the birthstone gem ring with hands in a heart shape are not something with which you'd expect a diffusion brand of John Hardy to be associated.

However, on the other hand, if pieces like this are keeping the rest of the brand afloat, then I'll take them to keep the good stuff coming. 

Similarly, the endless box chain variants. Brands have a signature style and the box chain has fallen into this role so again, I'm content to have this if it keeps the brand rolling. 

To sum up: for me, the Jai line could use some serious curating, losing the gimmicks and the downmarket stuff... but all that is how the line stays alive.
It has to be a jack if all trades but it really does have some mastery there too.
There have been some exceptional pieces and in an ideal world that's probably what the  line would be, but that's not enough nowadays, you've got to cover all the bases.

Esteemed Contributor

The Jai line doesn't particularly appeal to me so until the most recent TSV, I didn't buy anything. I did like the earrings so I bought a pair. I'll see if I like them when I actually get them and try them on.

I saw others were talking about Hagit's jewelry. Now that's a line I do miss seeing presented. I have several rings from Hagit and they are such a wonderful smooth fit and are a joy to wear. I also have earrings and a collar necklace that I really enjoy.

I'm a fan of Or Paz jewelry too. Very well made. I have several of the Roman glass pieces - some I kept and some I gave as gifts.

Honored Contributor

@Pagan wrote:

I really love some of the Jai designs. 

What I think of as the 'Hallmark' line is not for me but I can see the demand for it. 
On the one hand, I wish these pieces had been separated into a sub-brand. Pieces like the birthstone gem ring with hands in a heart shape are not something with which you'd expect a diffusion brand of John Hardy to be associated.

However, on the other hand, if pieces like this are keeping the rest of the brand afloat, then I'll take them to keep the good stuff coming. 

Similarly, the endless box chain variants. Brands have a signature style and the box chain has fallen into this role so again, I'm content to have this if it keeps the brand rolling. 

To sum up: for me, the Jai line could use some serious curating, losing the gimmicks and the downmarket stuff... but all that is how the line stays alive.
It has to be a jack if all trades but it really does have some mastery there too.
There have been some exceptional pieces and in an ideal world that's probably what the  line would be, but that's not enough nowadays, you've got to cover all the bases.

I love many JAI items and I have several pieces, but I agree about the hokey stuff.  I don't want "dog mom" jewelry, or those creepy hand rings, or any other sappy things.  

I really didn't care for the Alaska line at all.

However, it is the only line of jewelry I make it a point to watch because chances are I'll find something I love.

Respected Contributor

Regarding Jai jewelry, there is something for most people.  I just received the Japanese scenery spinner ring, and I really like it.  It matches the cuff, but it just makes the cuff look even better, in my opinion.  Plus, it is fun to play around with.  You can alter what part of the scene is visible.  I like the details in the pieces I purchase, and I am an animal lover, so I am drawn to some of those pieces more than others.  Others like the non-animal themed styles more.   

Honored Contributor

@Jersey Born wrote:

Regarding Jai jewelry, there is something for most people.  I just received the Japanese scenery spinner ring, and I really like it.  It matches the cuff, but it just makes the cuff look even better, in my opinion.  Plus, it is fun to play around with.  You can alter what part of the scene is visible.  I like the details in the pieces I purchase, and I am an animal lover, so I am drawn to some of those pieces more than others.  Others like the non-animal themed styles more.   

I am an animal lover too; it's just not my choice for jewelry.  Although weirdly enough, I do go for things like frogs and turtles.  Just not the cutesy stuff. Woman Happy

However, I have a JAI elephant ring which I love!!  Also the giraffe wrap ring!!

Respected Contributor

@faeriemoon --- Frogs and turtles, eh?  Then I guess you shouldn't take a look at Samuel B's frog prince jewelry at S- HQ.  I just checked to make sure it was still available, and I also saw an adorable pearl and amethyst froggie ring, too, although he is not a prince. 

Honored Contributor

@Jersey Born I love those!  I have a ring similar to one of the pearl rings from the Q.  It features a green amethyst with two frogs; I believe it was from the Q's Artisan Crafted line.  I also have a Barry Cord frog on a lily pad ring.

I'm not sure why I'm drawn to frogs...

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do have some Barry Cord frog prince jewelry from ages ago at the Q-- a frog prince pendant hanging from a black leather string, and the matching double froggie cuff. I purchased an artisan crafted froggie ring with a faceted prasiolite at its center to wear with them.

I like frogs and turtles, too.  There is nothing wrong with being drawn to them. They are cute in their own way.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I love the sunflower earrings I got today and the price was so inexpensive. My first Jai piece. Love!

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@luvmyteddy4I love sunflowers too, could you share the item numer for the sunflower earrings.