Honored Contributor

Re: Why Do So Many Hosts Wear The Same Watch?

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

All these "high end watches" (hate that phrase) may be copies. They live/work near NY. When I was there recently, any expensive knockoff watches and bags available on every corner.

These items are the real time. A knockoff is illegal.

A true knock-off is illegal but that doesn't stop people from buying them.  A former QVC host proudly carried a knock-off Hermes bag. She was even photographed carrying it on the cover of the Insider Magazine and when people went crazy about her owning that bag, she said it was a knock-off.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

All these "high end watches" (hate that phrase) may be copies. They live/work near NY. When I was there recently, any expensive knockoff watches and bags available on every corner.

@Shanus  Some of the Cartier tanks are in the $2800, range.   It shouldn't be too difficult to find them discounted for half of that or less.   I did it on a Tag Heuer.   The hosts and QVC know people who know people. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Probably because it's the only watch they wear.   They choose to own one good watch rather than several lower quality ones.

I've seen Shawn, Leah and Jill with that Cartier watch.  I only see Leah and Shawn wear that watch and that watch only.  Shawn has said a number of times that the watch was a gift from her parents.  Leah has mentioned treating herself to nicer jewelry items for various milestones in her life so my guess is that watch was a to me from me gift.

For the longest time, Jill wore a Movado watch every single day. Then it broke and she was wearing a cheaper watch and then sprung for the Cartier.  She has mentioned this when people wanted to know about her watch.  I know Jennifer Coffey wears a watch that looks rather similar but it's a bronzo italia watch. She said she has it in every color.  I own the white version and love it.   

Lisa R. didn't buy her Ballon Bleu watch brand new.  I don't think a lot of her watches are brand new.  She posted on FB that there is a site she buys used watches from.      

Yeah knock-offs are illegal but there are tons of watches that look just like a high end designer watch but use their own name.  I own a sterling Ecclissi watch from years and years ago that is basically a knock-off of a Cartier.  I had no idea when I bought it, I just liked the watch.  Bronzo Italia also did a knock-off of the Ballon Bleu and I own that as well and love it.  Many watches on QVC are modeled after higher-end watches. 

@Lipstickdiva  Jill owns an black IP Michele watch that she used to have on everytime I saw her.   I rarely see her anymore so don't know about the status of that watch. 

Honored Contributor

I've seen a  Cartier tank watch in the jewelry case at Costco, I think even there it was around five thousand. Don't know which model. I thought it was a beautiful watch.

I think Kate Middleton wears one too, not the tank watch. It has a round face. I Googled and it's the Ballon Bleu in steel that goes for five thousand something.

The most expensive watch I own is a Michael Kors gold plated steel that was a gift. Got a silver tone Kors watch that I love and live in for about 80 dollars from Nordstrom Rack. I have a thing for a pretty watch, if I hit the lottery that's one thing I would buy. One in a classic style with a larger face that's easy to read. And a gold watch, have always wanted a real all gold watch.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624  I know discounts can be had on some watches. I'm referring more to those that cost $68,000. 

Contributor

They look like the Cartier tank watch.  I figure QVC gave them as gifts.  They are quite expensive.

Super Contributor

I wonder how much an average host makes?  100k or more?

Honored Contributor

@circles wrote:

@Beautybella88 wrote:

Several have the Cartier tank. 

Pay must be very good for the Host to afford a $5000.00 watch...

I think they get paid well.  I think Amy just built a house, Lisa R's house looks like a mini mansion and from what I see when show little glimpses into the houses they all look like they have these beautiful large back yards but maybe this is standard in the area they live.

Respected Contributor

Whoever mentioned knockoff (fake), no way would the embarass themselves. Not to be confused with wearing an "homage" piece, which is a proper watch which borrows from the high-end original. 

I doubt it. They get paid well. Perhaps they get bonuses for exceeding targets on top of their salaries. 

If it's going to be one's only watch ( or main watch) and one is in the public eye or in sales, why not spend $5K on a watch. It is a imvestment. Plus, they have connections to vendors, so perhaps that $5K watch isn't $5K with a 25 percent discount?  

Honored Contributor

@LongTimeQVCBuyer wrote:

I wonder how much an average host makes?  100k or more?

@LongTimeQVCBuyer  Much more.   A TV news anchor in a medium to large market exceeds $150,000.