Trusted Contributor

Why CZ in Joan Rivers Private Collection?

David emphasized the sparklier CZ stones ... What's the diff between CZ, Diamonique and Swarovski crystals? QVC used to say D was better than CZ.
Honored Contributor

Re: Why CZ in Joan Rivers Private Collection?

Diamonique is a brand-name for QVC CZ.  Swarovski is a brand-name for crystal which is a different material from CZ.  All of the shopping channels have their own brands of CZs.  Who's going to judge which is the best?  I'd guess about the same. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I have a pair of Swarovski CZ, set in 14K gold.  I did not know they made CZs.  These earrings sparkle!  I have had people notice them from 12+ feet away.  They have a difference disbursement of light than any other stone.  I have  Diamonique, diamond and moissanite earrings and I get more comments on the Swarovski CZs.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, they do make CZ jewelry.  

SWAROVSKI ZIRCONIA JEWELRY MADE WITH SWAROVSKI PURE BRILLIANCE ZIRCONIA.

Swarovski Zirconia is truly above the rest - the exact symmetry and proportions of the cuts make sure every single piece comes with maximized brilliance. Each stone has a specially developed microscopic "SWAROVSKI ZIRCONIA" laser-engraved quality seal, which is completely invisible to the naked eye. Stones with highest precision and brilliance guaranteed exclusively by Swarovski.

These cz also come in a array of colors.  They have been on the market for over a decade.     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pYAAf1oS_Y&feature=youtu.be

Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you are buying a real diamond you are interested in the diamond being colorless. For example, colorless diamonds are very rare. Most diamonds have tints of yellow or brown. Therefore, a colorless diamond rates higher on the color grading scale than a diamond that is light yellow. The same holds true about the Diamonique stones in that the stones are colorless (like a rare diamond). Diamonique is rated as an 8 to 9 in terms of hardness. Diamonds are rated the same in terms of hardness. Also, when David (QVC host) states that Diamonique is considered a "D" he is referring to the fact that the Diamonique CZ stones are colorless (flawless). In other words, the Diamonique stone (stones) are absent of inclusions or blemishes. The GIA D-to-Z scale is the industry standard for color-grading diamonds. Each letter represents a range of color based on a diamond's tone and saturation. Diamonique stones falls into the D, E, F categories. 

I am not into Joan Rivers jewelry or private collection. Her pieces are beautiful, but I believe they are marketed toward a specific demographic of women. I do not know what kinds of stones are used in the Joan Rivers Private Collection. However, Swarovski Crystal is not a gemstone or even a crystal. In fact, it is a form of glass that is made at extremely high temperatures by melting silicon oxide powders with lead to form what is known as lead crystal (an imitation of real crystal). To produce a diamond-like effect the crystal glass is precision cut and then polished again by a Swarovski patented process that gives the crystal a high quality finish. On the hardness scale these fall between a 6 and 7. 

Super Contributor

Michael Valletutti from Evine used to sell a line of CZ jewelry, I can't remember the brand name, but they were Swarovski CZs.  

Honored Contributor

Crystals can also be further enhanced by coating it w/ Aurora Borealis. They are also easily chipped or scratched since glass. That's the difference since diamonds and cz are not glass & much harder. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Crystals can also be further enhanced by coating it w/ Aurora Borealis. They are also easily chipped or scratched since glass. That's the difference since diamonds and cz are not glass & much harder. 

I have a beautiful flower bracelet from Kirks Folly that I believe has crystals with Aurora Borealis, I remember the host using this term.  I have had this bracelet for a while now and it is jus at sparkly as it was the day I purchased.  The crystals are just lovely.