Honored Contributor

Re: Where to get ring “cut off”?

Interesting, I didn't know jewelers and firefighters would do this.  I imagine they make you sign a waiver, just in case something goes wrong, e.g. the ring is damaged (worse than expected) or your finger is cut.

Trusted Contributor

@homedecor1 

I just had this done ~ one ring on each hand!  Went to a VERY reputable jeweler in the area.  They have special "snippers" and it took seconds to complete the removal!

Wished I had done this sooner : )

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 

Did your husband have the wedding band cut off yet?

Honored Contributor

I had my engagement and wedding band cut off in the ER.  They used a small manual cutter and cut the rings on the bottom under the finger.  The rings were cut in two places.I had a jeweler repair my rings.  You can't tell they were cut.

Esteemed Contributor

Would certainly try Windex spray first; that worked one time when I tried on a heavy, expensive, too tight Alex Sanchez bracelet in a Santa Fe store. Thank heavens for Windex! For an extra measure, I'd put my finger in ice water for 30 seconds and then spray on Windex.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you I didn't read replies until now.  My spouse was not a willing participant ..so upset that he would be removing it because it's "sentimental" to him.  Me on the other hand, want to lose a finger?

Anyway, I called a jeweler today and they cut it off very carefully.  Took about 45 minutes as it was actually imbedding into his skin🤦‍♀️

27DC357C-5F57-4529-93BE-80B4654B2685.jpeg

3A28C250-AF24-4F30-9EC7-A2C63670A8C1.jpeg

He is quite "upset" but onto the next thing that aggravates him🤷‍♀️🙄.  The jeweler did say he could resize it but only after his finger heals & of course, after swelling goes down.  He is on high doses of prednisone and other drugs -- I highly doubt he will be wearing it again soon (unless we buy new one).

Thank you!

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 - A lot of posters have already given you good advice!

During my last pregnancy I had to have my rings taken off. The OB's office told me to go to a jeweler. We were new here and there was one in town. I went there. They were able to get my engagement ring off, but they had to cut my wedding ring off. Unfortunately they cut through the inscription inside. 

At the time I didn't care - I just wanted EVERYTHING off me, clothes, jewelry, etc. Smiley Wink

I'm glad your DH is more comfortable after this "procedure" !   Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom 

sorry you lost the inscription.  I was surprised the inscription was totally intact just the way it was "stuck" in place.

we put it in safe place for now.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 

Good to see that your DH is ok.  Might he wear the repaired ring on a chain around his neck?  

New Contributor

The fire department has the tool to cut a ring off.