Honored Contributor

I was looking at the Gold Rush preview and a number of items don't list the gram weight.  I don't know about you, but I don't buy if I don't know the gram weight.  I want to know what I'm getting before I buy.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Where is the gram weight?

@CalminHeart  I think there is a reason for that!  The price of gold has gone up so much in the last 15 years that when you do know the gram weight there is a reminder of how much you are paying for so little in actuality.  That being said - you get what you pay for in this expensive economy.  I see 14k box chains for under $100 but they are like dental floss.  I don't mind hoop or dangle earrings being light because personally I don't care for the weight on my earlobes.  Years ago I received some beautiful weighty gold pieces that I know I could never duplicate now.  

Respected Contributor

Totally agree.

Honored Contributor

yeah, some stuff they put the information on, then, some others they don't

just wonder if it depends on the person typing up the information.

Honored Contributor

My guess is that they're "afraid" to show the gram weight because people might not buy if they knew how little gold they were getting these days.  JMHO.

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

I was looking at the Gold Rush preview and a number of items don't list the gram weight.  I don't know about you, but I don't buy if I don't know the gram weight.  I want to know what I'm getting before I buy.

I am thinking because the weight is very light.  I was looking at a gold charm I received years ago as a gift that was purchased. locally Literally it is more substantial than the stefano oro gold ring I purchased a few months ago. I love the ring but it is very light in weight.  When you go into pawn shops etc.  the gold pieces tend to be older and heavier. You get more for your money. 

Super Contributor

I don't ever remember seeing the gram weight for earrings unless they were very expensive. And then it was only sometimes and it was usually the host giving the weight.

I just can't believe that the shopping channels are selling bracelets that are only around 2 grams. That's no weightt at all for a bracelet and you know that at some point it's probably going to break. I don't know why they bother.

Like some of you, I sold a lot of my pieces when gold went up thinking it would come back down. I don't think we'll ever see $200 an ounce again. I so wish I wouldn't have sold some of those pieces now because I'll never be able to buy some of the same jewelry again at the price I paid for them.

I would like to know too how much something weighs if I'm thinking of buying it.

Honored Contributor

@nova wrote:

@CalminHeart  I think there is a reason for that!  The price of gold has gone up so much in the last 15 years that when you do know the gram weight there is a reminder of how much you are paying for so little in actuality.  That being said - you get what you pay for in this expensive economy.  I see 14k box chains for under $100 but they are like dental floss.  I don't mind hoop or dangle earrings being light because personally I don't care for the weight on my earlobes.  Years ago I received some beautiful weighty gold pieces that I know I could never duplicate now.  

Sarraf dotcom has gold prices around $60 per gram for chains.  Their products and customer service are outstanding.  Almost everything Q is showing today is close to or over $100 per gram.

I'm with you though.  I hate the flimsy chains because they break.  

I prefer light weight earrings too - my favorites are leverbacks.  I go to jewelsforme for some of those and because they offer earrings in rose gold.

Honored Contributor

They showed gram weights.  The TSV is 10 grams.  All of the Imperial gold bracelets show gram weight.  17grams, 18 grams, etc.  One necklace is 42 grams.  One 18K bracelet (doubt they will show) is 30 grams.  So quite a few have gram weights showing.  The solid box chain necklaces have gram weights too.  In fract, I think they are showing more gram weights then they have in the past.

Respected Contributor

I remember MBR used to mention that regular stores didn’t show gram weights and we should never buy gold if we didn’t know the gr weight, which is why Q showed it. 

That was back in the 90s.  Ever since gold went sky high, they’ve not been as forthcoming with gr weight info for obvious reasons.

I’m so glad I bought some very nice pieces years ago, often for below $20 a gram. I still have a nice size rolo bracelet, a wide IG bracelet and a wider gold one that’s hefty. Wouldn’t buy any of these at today’s prices. Couldn’t justify it.