Valued Contributor

Re: Where has all the jewelry gone?

Gold filled,gold plated,goldtone,gold embrace silver plated,or silver tone or mystery metals,etc. To me is not worth the price I don't care who the designer is.All the shopping channel offer this type of jewelry.Personally I like the white metals (Sterling silver, white gold, or stainless steel) with yellow gold as an accent.

Esteemed Contributor

I think that bigger isn't always better and I think that the fact that QVC is such a big company is a hindrance for quality but smaller jewelry vendors who can't and don't want to make big orders. I suspect that the quality vendors on other shopping channels want to maintain control over their manufacturing process and that means the quality of the real stones that they use as well as the metals that they use. After all there's only so many triple A grade stones out there.

Some of QVC's vendors have quality products but I also suspect that the long time customer is an educated as well as a discerning one. If that means that those customers stay away from QVC jewelry, those customers must have a good reason for doing so.

Honored Contributor

Be a Imperial Gold show the 6th.

Seems like every yr. they have a gold show like after Christmas. First of Jan. maybe. Always odd times.

Honored Contributor

Q hasn't had good financial reports as far as jewelry goes.  Most people can tell them it's because they carry too much junk.  If they would fine-tune their gold and other lines to offer reasonable quality mid-range priced jewelry, they'd do a lot better.  As it is now, at least for gold, they offer cheap flimsy stuff or super expensive pieces.  Neither of those are appealing.  

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

Q's financial reports show losses in jewelry sales BECAUSE they sell junk most of the time.   They are missing a real opportunity to entice customers back by not offering mid-range gold jewelry.  They offer a lot of cheap, flimsy, low quality gold and then really really expensive gold.  Customers are looking for what's in the middle and finding it elsewhere because Q doesn't carry it anymore.

Ding, ding, ding!!!!  We have a winner.

Aside from a few of the designers, the silver is no longer the quality it used to be either.  

Respected Contributor

They prefer looking at beauty with Josie Moran.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just received 2 beautiful pairs of 14KT white gold and yellow gold round hoop earrings from Costco dot com. length is 1.37"; width is 1.18"; 2.80 grams - from Italy. $109.99 plus tax. High polished. Gorgeous!!! The yellow pair is perfect -- but I just noticed that the white gold pair has a tiny bead at the end of each stem - making if difficult and painful for me to insert in my ear-lobe. The yellow gold pair doesn't have this bead.

Contributor

Do you know of any directories in which I can find good jewelry stores?

Super Contributor

I so agree with you girls. It used to be that QVC had at least one jewelry show on per day. Now we're lucky if it's once a week. I've noticed that HSN is doing the same thing. They've went to selling electronics and QVC is selling mostly clothes and makeup.

There are thousands of us that would buy good jewelry if it were offered to us.

I really miss the old days when you could buy a nice gold bracelet for under $200. Now, the cost of their gold pieces are outrageous.

These days I'm buying most of my pieces from ebay, overstock or amazon.

QVC, in my opinion, has made a huge mistake by not having more jewelry shows with affordable prices.

Respected Contributor

I said this couple of years ago that jewelry industry is in the deep doo doo. The generation of people who were primarily the jewelry buyers are getting old and with high gold prices they are not going to spend their fixed income on it. Or people have more than enough of it already. To satisfy their cravings people go for costume or silver pieces once in a while. I do just this! Lol

Young generation is not the target audience for TV shopping, they do not buy jewelry, they go out, travel, pay for college, buy gadgets,pay for their kids everything,etc

So I thing jewelry is a bye bye era...