Frequent Contributor

Where has all the jewelry gone?

I remember wonderfully entertaining shows with Italian gold and elite designers working with real stones, not just diamonique. I have a few beautiful pieces from those days which seem to be over. But if I want some PTR or a Dooney, I know where to look.

Honored Contributor

Re: Where has all the jewelry gone?

Finanically jewelry at QVC has been a losing proposition.  Many customers went to other shopping channels when the Q didnt have what they wanted.  Its going to take a long time to woo them back.  So far there have been few enticements.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@philom wrote:

I remember wonderfully entertaining shows with Italian gold and elite designers working with real stones, not just diamonique. I have a few beautiful pieces from those days which seem to be over. But if I want some PTR or a Dooney, I know where to look.

I have also noticed fewer jewelry shows on HSN .  Evine still has nice ones,they seem to have more gold items,  in fact there is jewelry on tonight.  Smiley Happy  I am enjoying some of JTV's shows.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Finanically jewelry at QVC has been a losing proposition.  Many customers went to other shopping channels when the Q didnt have what they wanted.  Its going to take a long time to woo them back.  So far there have been few enticements.

I totally agree.  When I started ordering from Q which was about 5 years ago they had many jewelry shows.  Now I get most of my jewelry from Evine. 

Trusted Contributor

Well lets face it some of the best, with costume jewelry anyway are gone, as in  Nolan Miller, Joan Rivers and Kenneth Jay Lane. I know that Joan River's Co. is still on with some jewelry but not as much and it's not the same, they seem to focus on their clothing line now.   Also I notice that Susan Graver dosn't seem to be doing much jewerly lately and neither is Issac M.  QVC sill does Gold Rush day I believe but  they seem to focus mostly on silver now properly because of the cost,   I will say I do miss the high end costume jewelry shows that Miller, Lane and Rivers used to do and I'm sure if they were still alive QVC would still have them on. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sadly....i think QVC jewelry these days is either Diamonique, Costume or 14Kt overlay, resin filled, etc.....

Those are the options...OR designer pieces which are way overpriced.............doesn't seem to be a happy medium for a good quality "fine" piece of jewerly....i can understand the higher gold prices.............but the sterling silver and gemstone offerings shouldn't be so out of reach...................Many years back they had so many nice and quality jewelry items (not under any designer's names)

just in their stock....................today you are paying more for the names (Ripka,Imperial Gold,  etc) then you are for the worth of the piece.  I have also read some complaints about the quality of the Diamonique these days...so not sure if that is an issue too.......................

But i am sure there will be quite a few jewelry shows just before Christmas offering the above....

Valued Contributor

I think QVC has made a huge mistake by eliminating almost all jewelry shows.  Women love jewelry whether or not we plan to purchase...the idea should be to get viewers!  How are the one item per hour shows working out?  And this time of year when people normally buy jewelry we see nothing on QVC except in the wee hours there might be a diamonique show of old stock.  And if you check inventory often you see the same sale prices year after year...why not have a blowout sale of this old inventory?  Maybe then you can get something new like one gold snake chain?  Kind of a basic you would think a huge shopping channel would have available.  I fear those vault discoveries departed with Peyton and the fresh from the fair Italian gold not leaving the fair with Mr Markstein. It is sad to see QVC unable to program shows we enjoy watching like gems and gold....not an hour of one heater....ho ho hum.

Honored Contributor

Q's financial reports show losses in jewelry sales BECAUSE they sell junk most of the time.   They are missing a real opportunity to entice customers back by not offering mid-range gold jewelry.  They offer a lot of cheap, flimsy, low quality gold and then really really expensive gold.  Customers are looking for what's in the middle and finding it elsewhere because Q doesn't carry it anymore.

Honored Contributor

My favorite jewelry designer on QVC has been Hagit Gorali.  However, I can't remember when she was last on air.  Too bad, since I always bought when she was on the air....at a reasonable hour.

Honored Contributor

Oro Nuovo (resin or silicone filled) gold and Bronzo jewelry were two cliffs QVC jumped off of and they are still trying to climb back up that mountain to decent sales volume.  But profit is still the bottom line and you don't have profit if that stuff is still sitting in inventory and not selling. There are still 368 bronze items in inventory.