Honored Contributor

Re: When will the obsession with Paperclips end???

I prefer them as a summer look.  They have an airy quality about them with that open link.

Respected Contributor

This look all started with Coco Channel years ago...now it is being treated as a brand new look.  Seeing it everywhere and it sure is getting old.

Honored Contributor

I like the look but it's very trendy right now for sure.  I bought a 2 necklace set from Amazon that came with the paperclip chain and an initial necklace.  Both pieces were under $15.00 and I can wear them together or separate.  I also bought paperclip hoops from Amazon that were also under $15.00.

I wear the earrings and the single chain all the time.  When the trend ends, I can put this stuff aside or get rid of it.  At this point I've more than gotten my monies worth from the pieces.   

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Yes i'm tired of that paperclip look- I get enough paperclips in the office.  LOL.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bargainsgirl wrote:

This look all started with Coco Channel years ago...now it is being treated as a brand new look.  Seeing it everywhere and it sure is getting old.

Yes, Coco originated the original paper lip necklace,  but it looked so very different from what we see now.  I find it interesting that Coco always worked in fashion jewelry, not in fine metals.  I do remember the story that Jackie wanted one of Coco’s necklaces,  but Coco refined to make any more.  So Jackie’s was bought at auction.

Does anyone else remember this story?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

"Paperclips" are a symbol of resistance in Norway, during WWII, where the first paperclip was invented. I can't post anything more about it but today it still holds meaning for many things happening in the world today. Paperclip necklace...resistance and solidarity.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee Michele Lau is Norwegian and she has mentioned that many times on QVC including for the video for this item: Affinity Diamonds Paperclip Smile Necklace Sterling Silver - QVC.com

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I wonder who thought that one up?  Paper clips?  Really!

We made paper clip necklaces out of regular paper clips when I was in grade school!  Nothing new!

Honored Contributor

@banned again wrote:

@SilleeMee Michele Lau is Norwegian and she has mentioned that many times on QVC including for the video for this item: Affinity Diamonds Paperclip Smile Necklace Sterling Silver - QVC.com

Thanks for sharing that bit of info @banned again . I did not know Michelle was Norwegian. The story is very interesting.

Frequent Contributor

Can't end soon enough for me. They look cheap and tacky to me.