Honored Contributor

Re: When Someone Likes Your Jewelry

@ValuSkr wrote:

I wouldn't do it, for all the reasons mentioned.  And some people who admire your jewelry may be just being nice.  If you bought it for them, how awkward would that be.  The only time it would come out of the drawer is when you visited.

@ValuSkr  A true jewelry lover instinctively recognizes another as soon as they begin comparing notes.  I love my jewelry and get pleasure from giving it to others who appreciate it and will love it as much as I.  I have too much... more than I can wear so I share it.  Much of mine is Native American made. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Most of what I wear is pretty expensive, so no.

I just politely say thank you

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

Do you buy them the piece for a gift? Someone I appreciate and like very much-she said a necklace I was wearing was beautiful. An inexpensive statement necklace. 

So I looked online, had purchased it online. But it was no longer available. Went to the store and there was one left! So I put it away for her birthday in May. 

Of course it depends upon how expensive the piece is too. Unless you're willing and able to splurge on them. 

Honored Contributor

Nobody "admires" my jewelry......all they ever say is:  "Is that real?".......

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

What a lovely gesture from one jewelry lover to a friend, greeneyedlady and Kachina624!

Honored Contributor

I get compliments alot on my jewelry, but I have to admit I never thought of purchasing it for them.  I don't mean to sound self fish but I like having something different than everyone else.

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi lol about "Is it real?" I get that a lot about my engagement ring/eternity wedding band. Most of the time, I'm wearing jewelry I made. If it gets a compliment or asked where to purchase it, I explain that. 

Most of my "good" jewelry is inherited pieces and gets passed on to the women/girls in the family.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624. It seems as though you're a very generous person. Definitely those who receive a piece of the jewelry that meant a lot to you are quite grateful for that gift.

Respected Contributor

For me, this is not about whether the receiver of this gift will love this jewelry piece above all others.  It's about showing someone that they are a treasured friend.  If I were on the receiving end of this gesture, I would appreciate the kindness being shown to me and recognize that I matter to the person who is giving the gift.

That's a wonderful feeling...to be appreciated and cared about.

Honored Contributor

Hi Kachina624, I feel the same way I have taken pieces off and given it to friends, but I have also admired pieces on friends and I have gotten them as gifts.  It's nice to give pieces away to special people.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

I wouldn't do it, for all the reasons mentioned.  And some people who admire your jewelry may be just being nice.  If you bought it for them, how awkward would that be.  The only time it would come out of the drawer is when you visited.

@ValuSkr  A true jewelry lover instinctively recognizes another as soon as they begin comparing notes.  I love my jewelry and get pleasure from giving it to others who appreciate it and will love it as much as I.  I have too much... more than I can wear so I share it.  Much of mine is Native American made. 

I agree, jewelry lovers do recognize each other.  I get pleasure out of giving pieces too.