Honored Contributor

When Someone Likes Your Jewelry

Do you buy them the piece for a gift? Someone I appreciate and like very much-she said a necklace I was wearing was beautiful. An inexpensive statement necklace. 

So I looked online, had purchased it online. But it was no longer available. Went to the store and there was one left! So I put it away for her birthday in May. 

Of course it depends upon how expensive the piece is too. Unless you're willing and able to splurge on them. 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: When Someone Likes Your Jewelry

That's so kind of you.  Since I wear artisan jewelry, I wouldn't spend that on a casual gift, although I have bought quite a bit for my DIL.

Honored Contributor

I take great pleasure in giving my friends and relatives pieces of my jewelry.  When my two nieces came from Pennsylvania to visit, I assembled a collection of silver and turquoise cuffs and let them each select one.  When a dear friend moved from the area last summer I gave her a beautiful pink topaz and pearl cross necklace.  She loved pink.   I often give my sister pieces that she likes, including a diamond ring.  She wears it daily whereas I rarely did.  I'm glad she's enjoying it. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

I seldom wear jewerly or really enjoy it. So, I would NOT. Even if I was a real jewel lover, I don't think I'd buy someone who complemented me on my taste the samething. Makes no sense 2 me. Thank U is all that is required. Also, inexpensive jewerly wouldn't be for me, so therefore it would be expensive and then out of the ? Get itSmiley Happy?

Esteemed Contributor

I get complimented on my jewelry all of the time and it never crossed my mind to get someone an identical piece  Since most of mine was purchased in the islands, I probably could not even get the same thing.  Also, someone might like the piece of me but not like it on themselves.  Jewelry, llike many things, is subjective.  I have complimented others on their jewelry, even though the piece was something that I would never wear; so, I would hope that they would not give me the same thing as a gift. 

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Frequent Contributor

So true, I've complimented people on their jewerly but I would never want them to think I would want it myself. Mostly I wouldn't.  I mean, as U said, jewerly is a personal statement. Liking it on someone doesn't mean I'd like it.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

Do you buy them the piece for a gift? Someone I appreciate and like very much-she said a necklace I was wearing was beautiful. An inexpensive statement necklace. 

So I looked online, had purchased it online. But it was no longer available. Went to the store and there was one left! So I put it away for her birthday in May. 

Of course it depends upon how expensive the piece is too. Unless you're willing and able to splurge on them. 

@Greeneyedlady21, I think it's a wonderfully thoughtful gesture.  I bet she'll love it especially because you took the time and effort to do something very nice for someone you appreciate.

Honored Contributor

I love jewelry, all kinds of jewelry, but my passion is artisan jewelry and that's what I wear just about every day. I get compliments all the time on my artisan jewelry, but I've never gifted any to a friend or family member. To me jewelry is a personal thing and although someone can appreciate a nice piece of jewelry it doesn't mean they want to own it. Now if they voiced that they would love to have something like I'm wearing I no doubt would give them something similar.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't do it, for all the reasons mentioned.  And some people who admire your jewelry may be just being nice.  If you bought it for them, how awkward would that be.  The only time it would come out of the drawer is when you visited.

Honored Contributor

@Kalli Thank you, I appreciate your comments. I hope she will.

This is someone I have known for about two years. She has never once commented on any of my jewelry other than this necklace. She's not the kind of person who gives fake compliments just to be nice. I'm not either-if I wanted to do that I would just say something like "you look nice". I wouldn't comment on a specific item unless I like it so much that I would wear it myself.

If she doesn't want to wear it she can give it to someone else, I wouldn't take that personally. She's meant so much in my life that I wouldn't care if she didn't care for a material thing.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"