Trusted Contributor

Re: Whats a great place to buy diamonds?

Most of my top quality diamonds in gold were purchased at Ebay from sellers who offer the vintage jewelry in platinum and gold.  I have a European cut diamond  set in platinum and it came from a vintage seller. Also have two vintage art deco diamond watches; one in solid platinum and the other one in 14k solid white gold that are gorgeous.  I have many other items I bought on Ebay and have never been disappointed,  I always have the pieces checked out by my jeweler also.

Super Contributor

Re: Whats a great place to buy diamonds?

I'm a huge diamond lover. You got a lot of great advice. When someone calls a piece, or pieces, investment pieces I believe they're looking for quality. What they will enjoy and will be proud to wear and when the time comes they're passed down to a daughter or other family member.

I bought my diamond studs second hand. I'm not sorry or ashamed that I did this because I saved so much money for the exact thing I would have bought in a high dollar jewelry store. I was also looking for quality. To me, the color is a little more important with diamond studs. Mine are a G in color and in he VS range as far as clarity. D is the best color you can buy. But, you can buy a pair with F color for a lot less and you're still going to be in the colorless range. G H I are your next range of color. This is when color can start to matter. I would go for G color because they can still look colorless, especially with studs. Then you have the cut. You want a really good cut. You don't want any flouressence in your stones. With studs you can stay in the VS range or SI range which will mean they can be a little more included but you wouldn't be able to see anything with the naked eye. If you can you should try to buy earrings that have a GIA certificate. There are several places that grade diamonds. I like GIA because they're the hardest on the stones. EGL might grade a diamond as F color and VS1 clarity while GIA would give the same stone a grading of G in color and SI1 in clarity.

My husband and I have dealt with the same jeweler for more than 25 years. Check out their website because they carry a lot of diamond studs and a lot of loose stones if you want your earrings custom made. www.decor-jewelry.com Their prices are not always set in stone so that's another thing I love about them. You can ask for a lower price.

I'm sorry for the long post. I love talking about diamonds. I almost forgot to ask what ct wt you're looking for?  The best of luck finding your earrings. And when you do decide to buy them please post a picture because a lot of us would love to see them.