Valued Contributor

Whats a great place to buy diamonds?

Im looking for a nice classic pair of stud diamond earrings that are investment pieces. Do you have any advice on a best place to buy them? 

~No act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted~ Aesop
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Whats a great place to buy diamonds?

I have heard good things about Blue Nile.  In addition, if it were me, I'd see what Costco or USAAs buying service could do ( they replace a lot of stolen, lost diamonds every year).

Honored Contributor

Since you are looking for investment diamonds, I think Tiffany's would be the place.

Valued Contributor

i like blue nile to buy my diamond.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am not sure how you are defining "investment" if your goal is to purchase jewelry that you really want to enjoy wearing.

Starrt your research to learn how color, clarity, cut, and carat weight affect price.  Many folks like James Allen and Blue Nile for loose diamonds, but there are other wholesalers who keep track of the ongoing diamond index prices.

You can never go wrong with a GIA certification.

If you are looking for superb craftsmanship and setting uniqueness, New York City diamond district is full of interesting jewelers. JB Star and Kwiat are two that I drool over.

Enjoy the shopping experience!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mintedrose   Costco.

1) Excellent selection

2) Excellent quality

3) Guaranteed to be  valued at least DOUBLE what you pay for it. I, family members and friends have all purchased diamond items from Costco and had them looked over by our own jeweler. Replacement cost has always come back at least double what was paid for it. My jeweler has lost me as a customer for diamonds because he can't beat the price of Costco for such gorgeous stones. I will purchase from Costco and then go to him to have it reset, THAT'S how great the stones are. 

Not a place but a brand is Kwiat. Stones are mined in the USA. Nordstrom sells the studs in a 3 prong setting. In July, you have to opportunity to trade up as well as purchase at the anniversary price. Breathtaking stones, lay close to the ear (which I prefer) and you can start out small and yearly go up in size. Nordstrom use to carry a huge selection of Kwiat items back in the day; now it's just earrings for the most part.

Honored Contributor

Tiffany & Co. ...certified ethically sourced.

Respected Contributor

DH purchased a pair of beautiful diamond and pearl earrings for me from Costco and they would have cost 3 times as much from a regular jewler. Costco has beautiful diamond jewelry! I would look there first.

Respected Contributor

Learn about diamond quality criteria.  Look at lots of stones so you can compare and judge.   Remember unless a stone has a GIA quality certification (and documentation) the information a jeweler gives you is just an opinion.   If the jeweler is GIA certified,  their opinion might be more credible.... but it's still only an opinion.

And don't forget to consider the quality of the setting.   Gold is expensive,  and a lot of cheaper diamond jewelry is set in very lightweight settings.   Not a good thing if you want your diamonds to stay in place over time.

Don't get too hung up on getting the top quality rating in every category.   You will price yourself out of getting something you could love.   For earings,  consider VS or SI-1 quality stones with good color (G) and good cutting.   All those factors make the stones sparkle like crazy.  A poor cut makes even a better grade stone look flat.   And poor color takes away from the overall look.    From a practical perspective,  color and cut are often more important than quality (as long as the quality is decent).

And from what I have heard from people who have access to lots of jewelry because they are 'in the business',   Costco is one of the first places they check out for great prices on diamonds.   I'm told the mark-up that Costco uses in pricing is very low,  a fraction of what jewelry stores mark up their jewelry.

Have fun,  get educated,  don't feel pressured to make a fast decision.   And remember,  when the earring are on your ears you are not comparing them to other pairs.   Their beauty should please you when you look at it.

Respected Contributor

@mintedrose wrote:

Im looking for a nice classic pair of stud diamond earrings that are investment pieces. Do you have any advice on a best place to buy them? 

As a good deal I agree Costco would be a good price place.

But remember, it is never an investment.  When you need to sell it you will always loose money.