Honored Contributor

Re: What yellow gem was used in engagement rings in the '1920s ?

Sphene is a very soft stone, Mohs 5-5.5. I would be cautious with a ring with that stone. 

Respected Contributor

Topaz was an inexpensive stone years and years ago.  Also, a very popular stone.

Honored Contributor

I wonder if we're ever going to find out what that yellow stone is? I surely would love to know myself.Woman Happy

Regular Contributor

A Yag.

Honored Contributor

I will ask local stores next time I take in some repairs, but finding a real gemologist around here is pretty much impossibe.

Respected Contributor

It could be a yellow diamond; I was given my husband's grandmother's engagement ring and it had a fairly big yellow stone in the center. It turned out to be a diamond.

Honored Contributor

The only info my friend has is that they were  poor.  I wonder about that since there was a doctor in that lineage.  

Honored Contributor

Sapphires are stout, very hardy stones.  Second to the diamond in hardness.  That's one reason they where picked as alternatives to diamond engagement rings.  Usually any colored stone as an engagement ring is the Sapphire.  

Esteemed Contributor

@songbird wrote:

Sapphires are stout, very hardy stones.  Second to the diamond in hardness.  That's one reason they where picked as alternatives to diamond engagement rings.  Usually any colored stone as an engagement ring is the Sapphire.  

Or Ruby or Emerald @songbird .  Even though, I would never set an Emerald in an engagement ring there are plenty who have.  It's a soft Beryl.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

Could be a yellow Beryl too if they were poor during this time.  My vote has been cast.  I sure do hope you find out what it is! 

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life