Trusted Contributor

Re: What yellow gem was used in engagement rings in the '1920s ?

I would guess yellow beryl aka heliodor.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

It could be many things, including a pale spessartite garnet. It needs to be tested by a gemologist, no sense guessing.

Spessartite Garnet wasn't discovered in Germany until 1991 or something so that's not likely it.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@decaf wrote:

Maybe Imperial topaz? 

I agree with @decaf Imperial Topaz which is the true birthstone for November.  It's rare but it's still out there.  It's costly too.  Peachy/yellowish beautiful stone. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@depglass wrote:

I need a jewelry historian here.  My friend inherited an 18K white gold ring from her grandmother, who was born in 1893.  The setting is about as high as an old Tiffany setting, but more of a basket design, not just straight prongs. There are 6 prongs and I'm guessing the stone is about a half carat.  The only yellow stones I can think of are heliodor and sapphire.  The stone is slightly included so I'm thinking its not a synthetic.  The yellow is a medium shade. Unfortunately DD did my photo work when I sold on Ebay so I never bothered learning.  

Okay so since this is a guessing game, I would have to guess it's a yellow sapphire simply based on "slightly Included" and probably not a citrine which is not commonly included, mostly free of inclusions. Topaz is usually free of inclusions as well, found clear.  Citrine is also a relatively soft stone and can scratch or chip easily compared to a sapphire which, even today, is used in many engagement rings because of it's durability. If the ring is that old then a citrine would show a lot of wear and tear whereas a sapphire can stand the test of time.

Some sapphires fluoresce under UV light (a black light). Citrines do not at all.

@SilleeMeeI'm thinking along your lines with quartz.for Citrine.  If it's from the Topaz family, perhaps royal topaz.  How about Tourmaline?  Though you hardly ever see that color in Tourmaline.....Citrine is about 7 - 7.5 on the mohs so it's suitable.  But of course, the most prized two of the yellow stones would be Royal Topaz or Yellow Sapphire.  They weren't treating sapphires way back then!  LOL.

Respected Contributor

My best friend has a ring, bracelet and earrings that are yellow emeralds.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@depglass wrote:

I need a jewelry historian here.  My friend inherited an 18K white gold ring from her grandmother, who was born in 1893.  The setting is about as high as an old Tiffany setting, but more of a basket design, not just straight prongs. There are 6 prongs and I'm guessing the stone is about a half carat.  The only yellow stones I can think of are heliodor and sapphire.  The stone is slightly included so I'm thinking its not a synthetic.  The yellow is a medium shade. Unfortunately DD did my photo work when I sold on Ebay so I never bothered learning.  

Okay so since this is a guessing game, I would have to guess it's a yellow sapphire simply based on "slightly Included" and probably not a citrine which is not commonly included, mostly free of inclusions. Topaz is usually free of inclusions as well, found clear.  Citrine is also a relatively soft stone and can scratch or chip easily compared to a sapphire which, even today, is used in many engagement rings because of it's durability. If the ring is that old then a citrine would show a lot of wear and tear whereas a sapphire can stand the test of time.

Some sapphires fluoresce under UV light (a black light). Citrines do not at all.

@SilleeMeeI'm thinking along your lines with quartz.for Citrine.  If it's from the Topaz family, perhaps royal topaz.  How about Tourmaline?  Though you hardly ever see that color in Tourmaline.....Citrine is about 7 - 7.5 on the mohs so it's suitable.  But of course, the most prized two of the yellow stones would be Royal Topaz or Yellow Sapphire.  They weren't treating sapphires way back then!  LOL.

@gertrudecloset 

I think it might be either topaz or sapphire which are both durable stones but topaz usually doesn't have inclusions or cloudiness as the OP stated. So I'm still leaning towards sapphire which does contain inclusions and can be cloudy, especially if it's lesser quality. OP said something about it coming from a "poor family" so a cloudy, included yellow sapphire would make sense.

Tourmaline is not durable so I wouldn't have guessed that one.

Back in the 1920s there was no heat treatment or irradiation for enhancing the color of gems. So natural citrine back then was rare. Natural yellow sapphires, otoh, were more available and those would have been a light or medium shade of yellow...not the vivid yellow seen in today's yellow sapphire from heat treatments.

Honored Contributor

Now to find my blacklight.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@depglass wrote:

@gertrudecloset 

I think it might be either topaz or sapphire which are both durable stones but topaz usually doesn't have inclusions or cloudiness as the OP stated. So I'm still leaning towards sapphire which does contain inclusions and can be cloudy, especially if it's lesser quality. OP said something about it coming from a "poor family" so a cloudy, included yellow sapphire would make sense.

Tourmaline is not durable so I wouldn't have guessed that one.

Back in the 1920s there was no heat treatment or irradiation for enhancing the color of gems. So natural citrine back then was rare. Natural yellow sapphires, otoh, were more available and those would have been a light or medium shade of yellow...not the vivid yellow seen in today's yellow sapphire from heat treatments.

@SilleeMeethat's right!  Very likely a yellow sapphire or the rare color of Topaz. 

I thought of tourmaline only because it is another gem that has every color under the sun.  But you're right about it's hardness.  Plus tourmies can be very included.

As you can see, I love going on about gemstones....

Thx for engaging with me.

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset 

I love gems, too! Shoulda been a gemologist. Smiley HappyThere is a GIA gemologist, maybe two of them, here on this forum but I can't remember who that poster is. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@gertrudecloset 

I love gems, too! Shoulda been a gemologist. Smiley HappyThere is a GIA gemologist, maybe two of them, here on this forum but I can't remember who that poster is. 

I know what you mean @SilleeMee .  You're close though; you're good too.  I wanted to study it but of course the cost to go to California and study at the GIA was too much for me. 

I told Trinity (who is a gemologist here on the forums) the same thing.  There is another one?  I hope she posts more often.  I could learn a lot from these ladies.