Honored Contributor

Re: What yellow gem was used in engagement rings in the '1920s ?

@depglass  My guess: yellow/golden. topaz

Honored Contributor

@depglass    My guess is Helidore. 

https://www.gemsociety.org/article/heliodor-golden-beryl-jewelry-gemstone-information/

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Maybe Imperial topaz? 

Honored Contributor

It doesn't have the gold that these suggestions show.  This was a poor family, I'm told, so I'm wondering if there were any synthetics back then besides glass.  Glass would be clear, this has slight cloudiness

Honored Contributor

Off-color diamonds (lower price).    GIA didn't start color grading them until the 1950's.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

You can guess all you want but the only way to find out what kind of yellow stone you have is to take it to a jeweler.

Honored Contributor

I'm thinking yellow citrine.   Yellow diamonds weren't sold then.

Tell you friend any semiprecious stone will become cloudy with exposure to soap.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee  Yes, several of us have posted that above, and I also guessed. No big deal.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@depglass wrote:

I need a jewelry historian here.  My friend inherited an 18K white gold ring from her grandmother, who was born in 1893.  The setting is about as high as an old Tiffany setting, but more of a basket design, not just straight prongs. There are 6 prongs and I'm guessing the stone is about a half carat.  The only yellow stones I can think of are heliodor and sapphire.  The stone is slightly included so I'm thinking its not a synthetic.  The yellow is a medium shade. Unfortunately DD did my photo work when I sold on Ebay so I never bothered learning.  

Okay so since this is a guessing game, I would have to guess it's a yellow sapphire simply based on "slightly Included" and probably not a citrine which is not commonly included, mostly free of inclusions. Topaz is usually free of inclusions as well, found clear.  Citrine is also a relatively soft stone and can scratch or chip easily compared to a sapphire which, even today, is used in many engagement rings because of it's durability. If the ring is that old then a citrine would show a lot of wear and tear whereas a sapphire can stand the test of time.

Some sapphires, and certain topaz, fluoresce under UV light (a black light). Citrines do not at all.

Valued Contributor

@depglass @I have one from that era, and was told it was a zircon. A jeweler told me it was a very common stone at that time. Mine actually sparkles more than a diamond.