Regular Contributor

What's with all this 10k gold?

I noticed last night on HSN Michael Anthony (I think is his name) was selling all 10k gold. I've admired some of his pieces in the past and I'm almost sure they were 14k. Is 14k getting so expensive now-a-days that manufacturers are going to 10k instead? I hope not - 10k rings turn my fingers black and he had some really pretty rings.

Honored Contributor

Re: What's with all this 10k gold?

I own a lot of MA gold. Some purchased over the years from HSN and other pieces in B&M stores. Even when gold was substantially less than the price it is today, they still sold a lot of 10K rings on HSN. Now that the price has gone down, I'm not sure why they haven't reintroduced 14K back into their collection. I was hoping that at least during this month, they would.

"And suddenly you just know it's time to start something new
And trust the magic of Beginnings..."
Trusted Contributor

I personally prefer 10K gold for my rings as it is stronger and much less likey to bend or get mishapen from constantly hitting bottom of band on things like desk, etc. For a bracelet that I would wear constantly, I would also prefer 10K. I don't have nor do I ever want any silicone filled jewelry, but do like 10K for some things.

Super Contributor

I wear 9ct (UK designation) and it's fine. Looks like gold, acts like gold.

Honored Contributor

I have no problem with 10k gold, it keeps prices affordable and it's more durable. I prefer 10k over gold overlay.

Honored Contributor

On 5/19/2014 chrystaltree said:

I have no problem with 10k gold, it keeps prices affordable and it's more durable. I prefer 10k over gold overlay.

ITA, HSN was using 10K years ago in the rings, Colleen always said it was more affordable and more durable. Usually looks almost identical to 14K.

Respected Contributor

Cat From TN ~ Although this post is off topic, I wanted to say thank you for posting this thread. I went over to see what MA was offering, and I found a pendant of his in Stainless Steel that says "Love you to the moon and back" and has an additional puffed heart charm on the necklace. I say this to my 2 little granddaughters all the time. I just purchased each of them one. Wish I could be there for a hug when they open the little boxes. THANKS!!!

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Respected Contributor

I don't mind 10K as I have no problems and it's more durable.

Regular Contributor

On 5/19/2014 Mistic said:

Cat From TN ~ Although this post is off topic, I wanted to say thank you for posting this thread. I went over to see what MA was offering, and I found a pendant of his in Stainless Steel that says "Love you to the moon and back" and has an additional puffed heart charm on the necklace. I say this to my 2 little granddaughters all the time. I just purchased each of them one. Wish I could be there for a hug when they open the little boxes. THANKS!!!

{#emotions_dlg.blush} You're very welcome!

Trusted Contributor

I've bought some of Michael Anthony's 10k and I like it well enough. JTV sells a lot of 10k as well. For every day pieces, it's fine--it's gold, at least. I'd love to be able to buy only 14k or 18k, but that just isn't going to happen for me. 10k pieces make it affordable to have a wider variety of jewelry while still being able to buy the more expensive pieces from time to time as well. I'll take 10k over plate (or even silver) any day. Every piece of jewelry you own doesn't have to be the Crown Jewels (at least, not for me)--some are just to complete an outfit or for informal wear.