Esteemed Contributor

What's best to clean silver chains etc.?

I have a few silver chains and pendants that are somewhat tarnished.  I soaked them in just dish soap and water but not good enough to get the tarnish. Anyone have anything to recommend.  I would appreciate any advice.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Regular Contributor

Re: What's best to clean silver chains etc.?

Toothpaste -- the opaque cream kind, not a gel.  Any kind -- Crest, Colgate, etc.  Rub with fingertips (or use an old toothbrush) and rinse.  Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MoJoV  Go to Walmart and in the jewelry section they sell a liquid silver cleaner and also Silver and Gold cleaning clothes.  If my silver is real tarnished , I use liquid.  Just dip in in a few times and comes out beautiful.  Make sure you rinse it real good after and dry it good.  Leaving jewelry damp will make it tarnish again faster.  I actually use a hair dryer to get it real dry.  The polishing cloth is great if it is just a little tarnished.  They are not that expensive and your jewelry will look brand new.  

Respected Contributor

It depends on what the piece is-- whether it has deliberate oxidation that needs to be preserved, if it has any stones, eye. Basic chains, bracelets, etc., can be dipped in silver cleaner, but don't dip oxidized pieces or those with, say, cameos or coral. I woulld have to google a list of other stones thst shouldn't be dipped . For those pieces, a jeweler's polishing cloth is best. I always polish sterling flatware, too, of course. 

Esteemed Contributor

For some of my silver without stones I keep the pieces looking quite sparkly with a hit of steam from My Little Steamer and a soft cloth which doesn't stratch surfaces.  Polishing jewelry is another task the good microfiber cleansing cloths (such as Campanelli's) can do for you. 

Respected Contributor

It seems that once it has tarnished, it no longer looks good. And seems to tarnish more quickly even if stored in those safe keepers.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The best thing for cleaning silver is a polishing cloth called a Sunshine Cloth.  It's the cloth Carolyn Pollack sells, it's available at many jewelry shops.  I order them by the dozen from an eBay seller in China.  I always give one with every jewelry gift.

I find silver looks better after its cleaned and polished.  It has some oxidation which makes the high polished surfaces seem to really sparkle.

Don't ever dip jewelry in silver cleaner.  They are meant for flatware and can ruin jewelry.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I agree, that's all I've ever done for years.    Just a quick dip, no soaking required.

The brand I use is Connisseurs & it comes in different formulas for different types of jewelry.    I couldn't live without it.

@MoJoV If you are really serious about keeping jewelry clean, you can purchase one of those sonic cleaners.   You won't find a fine jewelry store without one and if anyone wears eyeglasses you can clean them also.    You can do some research & check it out.  

@BalletBabe wrote:

@MoJoV  Go to Walmart and in the jewelry section they sell a liquid silver cleaner and also Silver and Gold cleaning clothes.  If my silver is real tarnished , I use liquid.  Just dip in in a few times and comes out beautiful.  Make sure you rinse it real good after and dry it good.  Leaving jewelry damp will make it tarnish again faster.  I actually use a hair dryer to get it real dry.  The polishing cloth is great if it is just a little tarnished.  They are not that expensive and your jewelry will look brand new.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624  The silver cleaner I use is for jewelry.  I have been using it for many years.  Sold at Walmart.   It takes me a minute to clean it and if your in a hurry , it is the best stuff.   Just can't put in pearls or soft stones. For chains it is the best.  The key is to rinse it very good.   I have been buying it for 15 years. 

Honored Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Kachina624  The silver cleaner I use is for jewelry.  I have been using it for many years.  Sold at Walmart.   It takes me a minute to clean it and if your in a hurry , it is the best stuff.   Just can't put in pearls or soft stones. For chains it is the best.  The key is to rinse it very good.   I have been buying it for 15 years. 

@BalletBabe  I've used the Walmart products and find the Sunshine Cloth to be 100X better.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment