Honored Contributor

Re: What rare gemstone is this?

[ Edited ]

I bought these in 2021 when grandidierite prices weren't too high. Set in silver, 1-inch diameter. 2.3 ctw.

Esteemed Contributor

Never heard of this gem, however I'd be interested in a pair of earring . I am always in the market for new earrings . I love long dangles preferably not posts .

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset     I am WEARING a stone that looks exactly like that!  My grandmother gave it to me when I was in grade school....so it's really OLD.   I took it to be reset a couple years ago...and the jeweler told me it was a SPINEL.    I think I will get another opinion.   

Thanks for posting this.....my curiosity is now killing me !!!!    di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

Never heard of this gem, however I'd be interested in a pair of earring . I am always in the market for new earrings . I love long dangles preferably not posts .

Check out the pair that I posted from Chuck Clemency @skatting44 .  It's on the Shop HQ website....

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Desertdi wrote:

@gertrudecloset     I am WEARING a stone that looks exactly like that!  My grandmother gave it to me when I was in grade school....so it's really OLD.   I took it to be reset a couple years ago...and the jeweler told me it was a SPINEL.    I think I will get another opinion.   

Thanks for posting this.....my curiosity is now killing me !!!!    di

You're welcome @Desertdi . Yes spinel comes in beautiful colors @Desertdi .  If I ever buy any red spinel  I will want a larger size.  I think those larger sizes are hard to come by.  If you look at the pics I posted for CC jewlery which is STILL sold on Shop HQ you will see a red stone ring.  That is Red Spinel.  He offers it in sterling/rhodium aside from the yellow gold over.  I posted pics of Chuck's Grandiderite and Red spinel in the thread titled Chuck Clemency.

Fun fact:

The crown Jewels have Red Spinel.  They were long thought to be Rubies, but they are not!  Beautiful gem.  

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset 

I didn't know those hoops you posted on the Clemency thread are grandidierite. Some stones are too dark that you can't really see their color. I prefer the lighter stones. To me they look like cross between emerald and aqua. Sort of a deep seafoam color. It's very pretty in person.

Valued Contributor

I agree

Beckyblu

Honored Contributor

I'm guessing clarity affects the value considerably.  I bought a tiny one from Shop LC when they first started showing this stone.  Very cloudy, but I just wanted to see it.  It was like $20.00 in silver.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Michael Valitutti has a few offerings of Grandidierite on SHQ but they look much more opaque.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Desertdi  @gertrudecloset   I actually own a gorgeous red spinel which my husband purchased while in Thailand on business many years ago. He chose a large oval, which he had set in platinum with a tptal of 12 (six .5 diamonds on each side) set side by side on the shank in a "waterfall" sort of arrangement. It's a statement piece which garners many complements with the firey red and bright white diamonds against the platinum metal.

He also designed my wedding rings.

Needless to say, I did not remove them when he passed away. I thoroughly enjoy wearing all of his designs and the memories he helped make. How many husbands go to that trouble and put so much thought into lifetime jewelry for their wife? I'm wearing his creations forever with joy!

Money screams; wealth whispers.