Respected Contributor

Re: What kind of gemstone is this?

The ring looks like a multi-color gemstone..London blue topaz, purple amethyst and the center stone almost looks like the color changing fluorite. I have several mystic topaz rings with similar stones on the outside. I purchased because I liked the color combinations and most of my pieces were from JTV and Evine...they were not that expensive.

Honored Contributor

@gardensla wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

What is STS? Definitley looks like one of those heat treated topaz stones, Chuck had different names for different colors of them. Mystic was usually green and purple. 

Is it worth anything? Cost me $5.00!

It is a lovely ring, Are the stones around it spinel?  Any way I am  sure it is worth more than 5.00 lol, gotta love yard and garage sales.  It is  a lovely ring.  I would check out JTV and Evine.  I am thinking I did see a ring like that with Chunk Clemency.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardensla wrote:

IMG_7764.jpg

What is this called? It's like blue topaz and amythyst in one stone? Has little stones all around and on the band.

Ideas? Guessing it's lab created quartz of some kind?

Others have already said itt, but just to agree, it is a fluorite.  I have some.  It is a natural stone, not color changing.  Comes in several colors like this and chips easily but it is wearable.  I have a bead necklace, very beautiful.  I also agree that the accent stomes look like london blue topaz and amethyst.  Very pretty ring.

Esteemed Contributor

@DearPrudence wrote:

It was from Evine. Was on clearance for $18.98 but is now sold out:

161-092

NYC II® 5.68ctw Bi-Color Fluorite, London Blue Topaz & Amethyst Halo Ring

$ 18.98 Clearance Price
Was $139.00 | (86% off)

Wow, an amazing sale price.  I no longer watch that channel but would love to know when they have sales like that!

Esteemed Contributor

Funny coincidence, diamonique has a new version of this.  I saw it in the new.

j363208.001.jpeg

Honored Contributor

925 is sterling silver.

To me, it looks like some kind of mystic topaz but the coating may have worn off a little.  

Amethysts are semiprecious stones in the quartz family.  Topaz is a silicate mineral of aluminium and fluorine.  I'm not sure the two could ever become one bicolor stone.  But never say never.

Honored Contributor

My guess is fluorite.

Esteemed Contributor

I think it's either a mystic topaz or a bi color quart. Very pretty stone and setting.

Honored Contributor

QVC's ring looks like watermelon quartz.  The original ring's mark, STS, was made by LC.  Chuck Clemency is having his rings made by them, but I don't know if they give him a separate mark or not.  I haven't bought anything from him lately to check.  Since that ring has a visible "stripe" I'm voting for bi-colored fluorite.  

Honored Contributor

That is a mystic topaz. It is lazer enhansed.  The gemologist that hired and taught me told me how they were created.

I sold a few when I worked in fine jewely while I was dealing with my sciatic issue.