Honored Contributor

Re: What is your favorite semi-precious gemstone?

I favor Amethyst but I also love Garnets.  I thinking of rings when I say that.  A lot depends on the ring style too.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My favorites are Swiss Blue Topaz, Indicolite, Tsavorite, Neon Apatite and some darker Tanzanites.

I don't like that term "semi-precious". To me all gems are precious!  Some of the ones I listed are "exotic" so I guess they don't count.

Honored Contributor

Not big on colored gemstones except turquoise & pearls. I also prefer cab stones over faceted. Very few non-faceted stones on Q. BTW, what's happened to tiger's eye and mother of pearl?

Super Contributor

I like all gems. Some of my favorites are: turquoise, howlite, lapis lazuli, malachite, fluorite, all the jasper, rhodochrosite, moonstone, sunstone, pearls, garnets, ametrine, amethyst, all opals, citrine, aquamarine, topaz, zircon, etc.

Respected Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Kalli wrote:

Currently it's morganite in rose gold and bi-color tourmaline (half green/half pink-peach in same stone).

@Kalli, I think Morganite would be considered an "exotic" stone as opposed to a semi precious.  Not 100% sure though.

Semi precious:

Topaz

Quartz (all varieties, smoky, white, imperial/yellow)

Peridot

Exotics (I love them more too)

Aquamarine

Alexandrite

Morganite

Kunzite

Apatite

Tanzanite

Mexican Fire Opal

Rhodolite

Spinel

Ametrine (naturally occuring quartz) part ammy and part citrine

Almadine (Garnet)

Hessonite (Garnet)

@itiswhatitis, I guess you're right.  I really would like to buy a 100% color change alex.  But they sure are expensive!

Honored Contributor

Garnet

I also love London blue topaz, saw some on the Q this morning and wished I could order. Just window shopped.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

Lisa Mason says all gemstones are precious. I think using semi-precious is a term you may use to refer to more affordable, often opaque gemstones to someone who isn't familiar with gemstone jewelry. If one is a gemstone collector then one collects the gemstones that are precious to one’s self.

Trusted Contributor

My favorite is citrine but I also love peridot.

Esteemed Contributor

@banned again wrote:

Lisa Mason says all gemstones are precious. I think using semi-precious is a term you may use to refer to more affordable, often opaque gemstones to someone who isn't familiar with gemstone jewelry. If one is a gemstone collector then one collects the gemstones that are precious to one’s self.

@banned again, of course the host would say this.  LOL.  They want the merchandise to sell.  Indeed there are industry-wide classifications for gemstones.

The Precious according to the GIA:

Diamond

Sapphire

Ruby

Emerald

Semi Precious

Amethyst (purple, pink or green)

Citrine

Peridot

Topaz (all colors that are treated and clear)

This categorization of gemstones started by the Greeks ions ago, and Westerners just kept it.  It really doesn't matter though, so she is right in that sense.

*Call Tyrone*
Valued Contributor

Swiss blue topaz & Labradorite