Esteemed Contributor

Re: What is your favorite semi-precious gemstone?

@Margui wrote:

I saw your list of exotic gems, but  one of them is not rare, nor an exotic. Goldstone is a man made stone. And Cinnabar is beautiful but deadly. It's the main source of mercury, a poisonous metal.  If you want this gem, make sure is the fake one; the real one can kill you.

@Margui, London Blue Topazes are radioactive (because of their treatment).  Many forms of treatment are suspect.  The lists I provided are subjective.  However, as long as the Gemological Institute of America considers various stones to be exotic, I will too.

Gemstones don't have to be "rare" to be exotic.  Exotic does not = rare.  It means "Exotic."  Whether man made or created by earth.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

Turquiose

Orange Fire Opals. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@Margui wrote:

@songbird: You possibly associate opals by that old wives'  tale that mentions that opals are the source of bad luck. But it's your choice. Everyone has different tastes. And you are off topic by mention rubies and sapphires ( precious gemstones) not "semi-precious" as the title say.  

Is there any Semi- precious gemstone that you like?

Nope.  None.  Opals got a bad rep from a late 19th century novel.  In which an opal is featured as an evil gem that transforms people.  All most overnight it went from precious to you can't get a penny for it.  It didn't start to be rehabilitated until many years alter. They are starting to become fashionable again and the Australian ones can be very expensive. (Depending like all gemstones...how many diamonds you have surrounding it)  I just don't like the looks of them.