Trusted Contributor

What is your favorite semi-precious gemstone?

Not diamonds, pearls, sapphires, rubies, but the semi-precious stones. My favorite is blue topaz. I love all shades of blue topaz. I think it is the most versatile gemstone and I just love it. The colors are so soothing and sophisticated. Blue just goes with everything an you can wear it for all seasons. My second favorite is peridot, but it is harder to find. Tell us what you like.

Respected Contributor

Re: What is your favorite semi-precious gemstone?

Currently it's morganite in rose gold and bi-color tourmaline (half green/half pink-peach in same stone).

Valued Contributor

There's no such thing as a favorite with me, I love them all. But if I had to choose which I want to wear every day then it would be tsavorite garnet, Oh my my, it's simply beautiful. And then there's peridot, and chrome diopside and emeralds, can you tell I go for the greens????

Esteemed Contributor

I would have said blue topaz, too (and still love it) but I'd have to say #1 for me is blue zircon -- the good stuff with the deep color.  Nothing sparkles like it!

Esteemed Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

Currently it's morganite in rose gold and bi-color tourmaline (half green/half pink-peach in same stone).

@Kalli, I think Morganite would be considered an "exotic" stone as opposed to a semi precious.  Not 100% sure though.

Semi precious:

Topaz

Quartz (all varieties, smoky, white, imperial/yellow)

Peridot

Exotics (I love them more too)

Aquamarine

Alexandrite

Morganite

Kunzite

Apatite

Tanzanite

Mexican Fire Opal

Rhodolite

Spinel

Ametrine (naturally occuring quartz) part ammy and part citrine

Almadine (Garnet)

Hessonite (Garnet)

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The industry grapples with what is/what isn't semi-precious, exotic, etc., and sometimes stones "cross" into other categories -- likely more for marketing purposes than anything else.  There was significant trade talk of even pulling tanzanite into the "precious" category for some time.

(I go to a lot of trade shows and subscribe to the jewelry mags;  my jeweler has nothing but GIA GG's on staff and I've learned a lot from them).  I have a bookshelf filled with tomes on gemstones -- they fascinate me!

Super Contributor

I am in all green mode, emerald, demantoid, tsavorite, chrome diopside, even green turquoise.

Esteemed Contributor

I like most any stone that's pretty. I like picture jasper, turquoise, amber. I like boho jewelry.

Respected Contributor

I want a fire opal when I can find one I can afford. I bought a ring here at the Q, that was torquoise and small fire opal interspersed,

it is so pretty. This must be a stone that's hard to find, as I don't see alot of it on the Q. I need to google this stone.

Trusted Contributor

Amethyst.  Purple is my favorite color.  I wasn't born in February so it's not my birthstone but i think it is beautiful.