Honored Contributor

Re: What is the most common type of gold chain for pendants?

[ Edited ]

I have several box chains in a couple of sizes.  They are super strong.  I have a 30 inch box chain that has been caught on things and stretched when I pulled away, but it never broke.

Enjoy wearing your new pendant.  Garnets are beautiful.

Valued Contributor

Love that pendant!

The web site for James Avery stores has a nice selection of 14k gold chains. No box chains but their spiga chains are very sturdy.

Honored Contributor

Check out sarrafdotcom for great chains, good prices, excellent customer service.

Honored Contributor

Squirrel Lover, I love your pendant including the size.  You want people to see it.  It is a realistic size for a garnet.  In CZ everyone would think it was fake. 

Honored Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

I was told years ago that the box chain is one of the most sturdy that you can get.  Whenever I have a high value item on a chain, I always use a box chain. 

@CAcableGirl2   ITA. Always the box chain. Second choice would be the wheat chain. OP, Enjoy your beautiful gift!

Honored Contributor

@Squirrel Lover wrote:

My husband bought me this pendant sp0731gd-rg-aaaa-10.jpgbut I think it needs a more substantial chain. Would a rolo or box chain or another type be better? Also what gram weight constitutes a sturdy chain? 

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

@Squirrel Lover  So pretty. Take it w/ you to choose box or wheat chain. Jeweler can determine the weight of chain by weight of pendant.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you all for your advice. I chose a 2.8 gram box chain in 16 inches.  That should be strong. It is 0.8mm. Thanks again for your advice.

Respected Contributor

I think you made a great choice in style and weight of the chain.  I hope you enjoy it.

Honored Contributor

@Squirrel Lover,Just wanted to add that pendants have small chains to keep the price down.  The chain can rarely stand up to daily wear, and many ladies wear their necklace all the time.