Valued Contributor

What is the difference between Moissanite and Diamonique?

[ Edited ]

Are they both cubic zirconia?  Both sold on QVC? Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: What is the difference between Moissonite and Diamonique?

[ Edited ]

Diamonique is the brand name for QVC's cubic zirconia.  Moissanite  is a completely different man-made stone and is not cubic zirconia.

Read what is Moissanite

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

Re: What is the difference between Moissanite and Diamonique?

Thanks!  Just noticed one difference!  The price!

Honored Contributor

Re: What is the difference between Moissonite and Diamonique?

[ Edited ]

You won't find Diamonique stones in the ground, not naturally. But if you know where to look, you can find Moissanite crystals in the ground hidden within other rocks. Those are too small to make jewelry with them so now they grow them in a lab and call them synthetic Moissanite and they sparkle more than cubic zirconia.

Honored Contributor

@barb40 wrote:

Thanks!  Just noticed one difference!  The price!

@barb40.  IMO They're worth it.  Gorgeous stones.  Much more realistic and sparkly than CZ.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

I think the reason Moissanite is so much higher than CZ's is because the really good quality stones do look like diamonds. Still, they are man made and a lot of stones that are set in silver can cost well over $1000. I would never pay that much for man made stones that are set in silver.

Moissanite does come in different grades so I think QVC should put the grades in their descriptions. None of us wants to buy a Moisanite piece and it's ends up being cloudy, yellow or grey in color and having a lot of inclusions when we've spend hundreds on the piece.

Valued Contributor

There is a difference in hardness. Moissanite is 9+ on the Mohs scale and cubic zirconia is 8. If you wear your jewelry often you may notice that over the years the cz will not seem as shiny over time. Moissanite never loses it's brilliance. The only other hard gem is a diamond at 10 on the scale.

Respected Contributor

There are 2 moissanite shows next week, Wed. Aug. 29th at 6:00 AM and 3:00 PM.  The description says extremely white diamond like - so I believe that QVC is using the highest grade - Forever One - color DEF.  I have a Forever Brilliant - colors GHI and there is no yellow.  Looks like a real diamond.  I don't even think they are manufacturing the Forever Classic anymore - the original with yellow caste. 

I think the reason that Moissanite looks so much like a diamond and tests like one is because they use Carbon silicon.  And anything with Carbon will test and look like a real diamond.  There is no comparison with cubic zirconia.  I can tell that is a fake immediately and so I never purchase CZ.

Contributor

My engagement ring is a 1ct. Forever One Moissanite solitaire with diamonds on the shoulders, set in platinum. It sparkles like a flawless diamond. Not only is it more affordable than a diamond, I don't have to participate in the diamond trade, known for its exploitation and price fixing.
Occasional Visitor

Moissanite is lab grown - not man made.  It is BEAUTIFUL!!  I own many pieces and proudly wear them often- one as my wedding set.  QVC is not the place to invest in moissanite!!  JTV has very good quaulity for the price.  Stunners!