Honored Contributor

What is the big deal about Swarovski?

LC keeps intimating that Swarovski is "going away" because it is so exclusive.  I never paid much attention until I saw a Swarovski storefront in New York City in a news clip about something else.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What is the big deal about Swarovski?

I guess you could ask what's the big deal about Tiffany or Harry Winston?

An Austrian company over 100 yrs old known for their work in crystals.

My aunt had a rope necklace of Swarovski crystals probably 30"? She would double the rope similar to a string of pearls when she wore them. Gueessing each crystal was 7-8mm.

They catch light similar to a diamond.

Honored Contributor

Swarovski said it is restructuring, the reason for laying off 600 people last August.  It had employed 29,000 people.

I could find no evidence or even hint of bankruptcy.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Swarovski will be selling their products directly from their own stores instead of to second and third parties such as ShopLC. What that means is their products will cost a considerable amount more than what you're seeing out in other stores now. It will be exclusive to Swarovski only and they can charge their customers whatever they want.

I own many pieces from SLC including cystal and zirconia. Their cut is what makes them sparkle so much plus the colors of the crystals are exclusive to Swarovski. The colors are formulated under secrecy and guarded from the rest of the industry.

Esteemed Contributor

That's interesting.  I wonder how this will affect Heidi Daus's line on HSN.  She works with Swarovski crystals in her jewelry line.   I have a couple of her pieces and also a couple of small items from a Swarovski store.

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

That's interesting.  I wonder how this will affect Heidi Daus's line on HSN.  She works with Swarovski crystals in her jewelry line.   I have a couple of her pieces and also a couple of small items from a Swarovski store.

I think jewelers who use Swarovski in their pieces will no longer have access to them after next month which is when Swarovski says they will no longer sell their products to places other than their own. That will probably force jewelers, such as HD and Tony from Off Park, to use more generic Austrian crystals which those jewelers are using anyway.

Contributor

At least some Diamonique stones are made by Swarovski.  I can see "Swarovski" etched on the small stones that surround the center stone in the Marquise Halo Ring, J380510.  The stones are magnified when I hover my mouse over the main image. "Swarovski" is most clearly visible on the little stone on the left side in the 9 o'clock position.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you're interested - you can buy bulk Swarovski crystals from Fire Mountain Gems.  They are discontinuing.

I buy the beads to use in shawls and scarves.

Respected Contributor

I got married at WDW.  Had photo session in Magic Kingdom with pictures taken on the carousel and in front of Cinderella's castle (inside too).  My husband bought my a Swarovski castle pin.  It's beautiful and I love it.  Holds dear, sweet memories for me.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm wondering if their move to bring all sales is to prevent fraud?