Esteemed Contributor

Re: What does it mean when someone says jewelry "turns"?

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@skatting44 wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

I thought I put that on the forum,now I cannot find it.

Keep jewelry dry.  Gold will turn black if exposed to chlorine - such as in a swimming pool  or taking a shower.

I don't know why  Hosts tell you to wear your gold  jewelry while showering or sitting by the pool . 

@skatting44  I have been swimming in swimming pools and taking showers forever. My gold wedding has never turned black or any other color.

The info I provided was from a jewerly website. If you have solid 24 K gold it may not tarnish but 14K that is not solid but gold plated can tarnish . So, it depends

Honored Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@skatting44 wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Keep jewelry dry.  Gold will turn black if exposed to chlorine - such as in a swimming pool  or taking a shower.

I don't know why  Hosts tell you to wear your gold  jewelry while showering or sitting by the pool . 

@skatting44  I have been swimming in swimming pools and taking showers forever. My gold wedding has never turned black or any other color.

The info I provided was from a jewerly website. If you have solid 24 K gold it may not tarnish but 14K that is not solid but gold plated can tarnish . So, it depends

@skatting44  Mine is 14k solid gold.

Esteemed Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@skatting44 wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

@skatting44it can tarnish because the gold plating is coming off.  I have 14kt gold jewelry I've worn in pools and no noticeable tarnishing from the chemicals.  Gold plated jewelry is  not gold at all.  It's either plated over a base metal or it's plated over silver.  Vermeil is gold plated over Silver but with a higher amount of gold (microns) so it the luster of the gold lasts a lot longer than reg. plated jewelry.

I will keep in mind what you've said and check it out.  Thanks for sharing.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@skatting44 wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

I have never had any of my gold pieces turn black for any reason.

Me neither.  People wear wedding bands all the time.  When I was growing up women didnt take their ring off.  I have black hills gold, that wears like iron lol.  None of my gold jewelry have ever tarnished.

Honored Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@skatting44 wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

I have never had any of my gold pieces turn black for any reason.

@mom2four0418   Me, either. Maybe gold plated would change color, but not true gold.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Could mean a variety of things depending on what's involved. 

A ring can turn around on your finger.

Silver can turn to a tarnished finish.

Gold can turn a different color if it's exposed to certain chemicals.

A gemstone can turn a different color or turn cloudy for some reason.

@SilleeMee   Some metals, depending on your body's reaction, can "turn" your finger or ears, etc. green.

Honored Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

@skatting44 My husband has had the same gold wedding band on day and night for more than 40 years and it still looks like it did when I put it on his finger the first time.  

He has showered in it twice a day, swum in many pools and lounged in a lot of hot tubs, and it's still bright and shiny.  

Esteemed Contributor

In responding to the posters  question abt "  gold tarnishing " , I responded from info from various  websites addressing this issue with some  " gold " jewerly .

Good for all those who expose your  gold to so many chemicals. Just google it .  Yes, most tarnishing is  from  scratches , damages to less than 14K  solid gold .

Personally, I do not . I  care for my 14K and 18K  solid gold  pieces carefully  . So here you go and you can all read it .

" Oxygen and sulfur compounds mixing with moisture are the most common cause of tarnishing. Our body chemistry also differs that is why some people’s jewelry may be more inclined to tarnish or tarnish more quickly than other individuals. Other influences that may also contribute to tarnishing of even higher gold karat like 14 karat or 18 karat jewelry is the consistent exposure to high amounts of chemicals such as perfume, hairspray, deodorants and cleaning stuff like chlorine and detergents.

Another surprising cause of tarnishing is food items with high levels of acidity or sulfur compounds. Some items that can aid in tarnishing are onions, fruit juices, spices and pickled items."