Esteemed Contributor

Re: What do you think of the new Tanzanite?

That rich royal blue is my favorite color on the planet, but I'm with @SilleeMee in wanting my tanzanite to have a bit more violet/purple in it. But if someone were feeling generous and this deep blue version was all they had to give me...  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

Like most, I was initially wowed by this gem. Over time, I've lost interest. It's pretty but not among those I like best. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

The Tanazinte has a new color.  The Block D mine is closed,  all mined out in Tanzania.  There are only 2 mines there.  Tanzania had to do something.  It's their only gross national product and it's government owned. The new ones coming out of the mine is a very light violet color. (Yuk)  So they developed a way by heating to change the color to a dark purplish blue.  Sometimes called the Blue Wing (after the mine)  They basically resemble the Kashmere sapphire. But they still have that fabled red flash.  I first noticed them on Gem Shopping and TVON.  I love the color.  They are not my favorite (I don't own any) but I know women just love the stone.  I was wondering if anyone has seen it?  You can still get the old color violet blue, but it's harder to come by.   And they are still graded A, AA, & AAA.  But the new ones have a higher grade.  Now called Vivid.  Here is a picture.  It does resemble the old one somewhat, but much bluer

Related image

Lovely stone, thank you for posting this lovely pictureSmiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Pretty.  I wonder how longlasting the color is.  Will it fade out?

Respected Contributor

I have several Lab created pieces of Tanzanite and they are the color of your picture and some are even a little deeper shade of blue that almost look purple. I also have the original Tanzanite and it is much lighter...I like the color of the stones but sometimes it looks just like my amethyst and blue spinel pieces.

Super Contributor

Wonderful color!Awesome tanzanite.

Honored Contributor

This stone is beautiful, but it looks more like a Kashmir sapphire.  My favorites are Ceylon sapphire and Columbian emerald, so if buying a gemstone, it would be one of those.  

Honored Contributor

There is no "new" color of Tanzanite.  The Earth didn't pull out her paint box and make a new Tanzanite color...LOL   Tanzanite still comes in range of colors for that deep, purplish blue to the red flashes to the wishy washy purple.  That has not changed from the day Tanzanite was discovered.  Of course, the deeper the color, the more expensive.  There was once a AAAA but hasn't been minded for many years and is only available on the secondary market for tens of thousands per carat.    I never liked the affordable  Tanzanite and I couldn't afford the AAA and AA until ShopLC started selling AAA and AA.  They are having a AAA Tanzie event today.  Every time, they have one of those events, I buy a piece.  I now have 3 rings, a pendant, 2 pairs of stud earrings in AAA or AA.  I'll watch off and on today because I want a pair of drop or chandelier earrings @ a carat or more.  I like ShopLC because I wear my jewelry everyday and I like platinum over sterling.    

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like these AAA chandeliers from the LC...not too big and the knot design is a feature I'm attracted to. There's a 30%-off code on retailmenot...code ends with the word "new".Smiley Wink

3304899.jpg

@chrystaltree 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I like these AAA chandeliers from the LC...not too big and the knot design is a feature I'm attracted to. There's a 30%-off code on retailmenot...code ends with the word "new".Smiley Wink

3304899.jpg

@chrystaltree 

Yes, exactly what I was looking for.  I didn't see those but I saw a similar pair that I did buy.  1.20 carats so a very nice carat weight in each ear but still quite wearable for every day.