Honored Contributor

What do you think of the new Tanzanite?

[ Edited ]

The Tanazinte has a new color.  The Block D mine is closed,  all mined out in Tanzania.  There are only 2 mines there.  Tanzania had to do something.  It's their only gross national product and it's government owned. The new ones coming out of the mine is a very light violet color. (Yuk)  So they developed a way by heating to change the color to a dark purplish blue.  Sometimes called the Blue Wing (after the mine)  They basically resemble the Kashmere sapphire. But they still have that fabled red flash.  I first noticed them on Gem Shopping and TVON.  I love the color.  They are not my favorite (I don't own any) but I know women just love the stone.  I was wondering if anyone has seen it?  You can still get the old color violet blue, but it's harder to come by.   And they are still graded A, AA, & AAA.  But the new ones have a higher grade.  Now called Vivid.  Here is a picture.  It does resemble the old one somewhat, but much bluer

Related image

Frequent Contributor

Re: What do you think of the new Tanzanite?

These are actual tanzanite color saturations and your vivid looks like the best saturation. I know heating really amps up the color. Maybe they are just advancing the length of heating? Love it.

Esteemed Contributor

Definitely bluer but BEAUTIFUL. It's my favorite stone and I have 2 very pretty ones both bought in Aruba as when my other half was still alive we spent many years going there to our time-share for a month. Also from many years ago I have a tanzanite colored diamonique ring with clear diamoniques on either side that is just as beautiful as my real ones. It's one of my all time favorite diamonique purchases.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think it's too dark and looks like blue sapphire to me. Personally, I like Tanzanite stones to have more violet/periwinkle blue in them...more purple but not so much as an amethyst. I realize that the darker, vivid blue Tanzanite is considered more valuable but I prefer them to be a bit lighter close to AA rather than AAA or even AAAA.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I think it's too dark and looks like blue sapphire to me. Personally, I like Tanzanite stones to have more periwinkle blue in them...more purple but not so much as an amethyst. I realize that the darker, vivid blue Tanzanite is considered more valuable but I prefer them to be a bit lighter close to AA rather than AAA or even AAAA.

Correct about that.  The bluer the tanzanite, the more valuable.  The lighter, the less desirable.  When it comes up from the ground, it's a dark green color.  When you heat it, comes the violet/blueish.  Tanzania needs money badly from it's stones. The Blue Wing (that from the mine) is the new guy in town.  Because of that, they are cheaper (right now) if they catch on, the price will skyrocket.  I don't own them because they are too soft.  I'm a Sapphire person.  LOL  in the end, the most valuable is Cashmere Sapphire.  They go for millions now. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If I wanted, and could afford, a dark blue gem like that then I would rather look at blue sapphires because they are more durable like you said. @songbird  

eta - Some of the Tanzanite simulants like Diamonique and Bella are really very close in color to the real thing and they even display some pleochroism showing the red flashes. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

If I wanted, and could afford, a dark blue gem like that then I would rather look at blue sapphires because they are more durable like you said. @songbird  

eta - Some of the Tanzanite simulants like Diamonique and Bella are really very close in color to the real thing and they even display some pleochroism showing the red flashes. 

Well the Cashmere is the real deal.  It comes out of the ground looking like millions.  Don't have to heat them. Just slap in some gold and diamond accents, and you're set. What made Tanzanite was it's resemblance to that Sapphire.  Because of that, you put up with the softness of the Tanazinte.  Sapphire is right behind the diamond in hardness.

Honored Contributor

The old "mine closed" ploy.  I hear that so often on many stones that I just ignore it.  There are years and years of stones stockpiled by certain people.  Just look at Sleeping Beauty Turquoise. Fool me once, etc.  

Esteemed Contributor

This is a pretty stone,  but I truly prefer my tanzanite.  If this new stone is rather soft, it would be ideal for a pendant.  I have had my tanzanite for years, a pendant and earrings.  One of my big treasures.  

Honored Contributor

Don't have any Tanzanite, but if someone wants to give me some,  I'm sure they would look great on my finger, ears, wrist, and around my neck.