Regular Contributor

Re: What do you remember the most about Joan Rivers?

I will remember how gracious Joan handled her husband's suicide. And later she was able to make appropriate jokes about it. I felt that she was a ""classy broad"" and she loved her family. She was so proud of her daughter & grandson. This must be very difficult for them as it would be for any family in this situation. There really is no way to make it better and its just so sad. I never purchased any of her jewelry but did buy my mother a necklace which she loved to wear.

Respected Contributor

We remember good things about people whether the people are alive or not. This thread is fine by me. Just think of us as a family sitting together in the hospital as we hope for the best. All is not wringing of hands, but discussing the quirks, maybe, of the sick person. Then there is always time for prayer as we chat. Even Heidi might show up. Thanks, OP.

Honored Contributor

Oneanddone - I'm sorry for your losses. Though not in the same way as you, I, too, lost my entire family (at different times) when I was younger.

My story about Joan: I always knew she was funny, and when I was supposed to be doing homework, I would watch her on Carson. I never saw her entire show on QVC. However, years ago I met someone at a social event who used to be a vendor on QVC. At that time I had only been watching a few months. This person told me that one of the nicest people at QVC is Joan Rivers. I learned she would go out of her way to make new people comfortable, and in spite of her right to act like a diva, she was anything but. This person told me she was always upbeat and was really interested in you when she talked to you. I wish now that I'd watched one of her shows, and I hope I get to in the future.

I am thinking of her family and close friends, and the QVC staff, hosts, other vendors, and models who know her so well.

Trusted Contributor

Is it true Joan Rivers has passed?
Honored Contributor

On 8/30/2014 kingofcool1947 said: Is it true Joan Rivers has passed?

No. She has been put into a medically induced coma. She went into cardiac arrest during an endoscopy.

Regular Contributor

I'm not going to memorialize Joan while I'm praying for her to either live or pass in peace. There's a time to remember not now.

Contributor

I'm glad I read this thread, even though I know she has not...at this point...passed on, because until I read these nice things I only knew of her as an extremely offensive and foul-mouthed person. Some of these posts have given me a different perspective.
Valued Contributor

On 8/30/2014 Alsee said: I'd rather she be remembered for her comedic talent - not selling junk jewelry on a shopping channel. And even though she is now on life support, let's think of her in the present tense.
While it is your opinion, I don't think "selling junk jewelry on a shopping channel" is an appropriate reference to her business persona. I'm sure she would take umbrage with your characterization, and I don't think this the time or place to be insensitive to Joan and her admirers/collectors.
Respected Contributor

Honestly, I think this thread could be causing misunderstandings about Joan's condition. I was surprised when I saw it. I think the title implies she has passed and it's a look back at her life.

Joan is very much alive, according to latest reports. Nothing has changed in her condition--Mt. Sinai is saying she's still in a medically induced coma for at least over the weekend. It's a waiting game now (having been through this with a relative who recovered fully!!) and I know we all wish her the very best.

I don't think this is the right time to memorialize Joan as she's fighting for her life.

Regular Contributor

On 8/30/2014 GraceCO said:

Honestly, I think this thread could be causing misunderstandings about Joan's condition. I was surprised when I saw it. I think the title implies she has passed and it's a look back at her life.

Joan is very much alive, according to latest reports. Nothing has changed in her condition--Mt. Sinai is saying she's still in a medically induced coma for at least over the weekend. It's a waiting game now (having been through this with a relative who recovered fully!!) and I know we all wish her the very best as she fights for her life.

It doesn't sound good at all _ http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/joan-rivers-life-support-family-members-stand-vigil-...