Valued Contributor

Re: What do you prefer to spend your money on, for example:

Remember, almost all of the gemstones (other than diamonds) sold in jewelry stores are "lab grown" (created).  Identical to the real thing, but grown in a lab.  So, created gems sold on the jewelry channels are not

different than what's in the jewelry stores.  It's the "simulated" ones that

are not the same.

Honored Contributor

@birkin baby wrote:

A Louis Vuitton bag.

I see so many of his carry on bags w/matching suitcases at the airport when I travel that I swear, Louis must be standing on a street corner giving them away.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@birkin baby wrote:

A Louis Vuitton bag.

I see so many of his carry on bags w/matching suitcases at the airport when I travel that I swear, Louis must be standing on a street corner giving them away.

Unfortunately no one has given me one.😟 I have seen them sold on street corners,lol.

Respected Contributor

I minimized my bag and jewelry purchases, I have too much. 

Travelling is more important for me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'll stick with the jewelry and clothing impulse purchases.  For years I dreamed of traveling when DH retired.  Our last trip to Florida was such a nightmare I don't care if I ever go back.  Try walking  a mile in the Chicago airport, then sitting sardined in with a bunch of  passengers and flight attendants for four hours, then get delayed another two hours.  No wonder flight attendants are so cranky nowdays.  And what's with the half a can of soda?  My bucket list included Alaska, Europe, and Hawaii.  No way would I fly to Europe the way things are going, and flights to Alaska and Hawaii just seem to long. I think Michael Valitutti is on tonight, gives me something to look forward to. 

Trusted Contributor

Dep, I know just how you feel about the travel experience.  The getting there part is a MAJOR hassle that would try the patience of a saint.  I have to say, though, that once you get where you're going, WOW!!!  DH and I travel a lot, sometimes for business, usually just because we want to go somewhere.  I grit my teeth through the transportation part so I can enjoy the destination. 

As to the original question of the post, imitation stones don't do anything for me, so I don't buy them.  Every piece I own does not have to be "crown jewel" quality, because some small pieces for everyday wear are important to have.  I think most women have their "dress up" jewelry and their "jeans and a tshirt" stuff that we wear shopping or knocking around.  If I had to choose between an imitation stone and an inferior "real" one, I'd probably choose neither and wait for a better option to present itself.

I like Dep's description of what she spends her discretionary income on--jewelry and impulse clothing buys are my favorites, too!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gulf coast girl wrote:

A Jean Dousset lab created ruby, sapphire or emerald ring or the real thing but it's kind of cheap, cloudy, imperfect version that JTV sells? But then again what exactly is a Sakota Emerald or a Mahaleo Ruby ?

A Mahaleo ruby is a fissure filled ruby.  It's a genuine ruby but it has fissures in it, they take red molten glass and fill the fissures and the result is a gem quality ruby.  What I didn't know is that fissure filling is one of the treatments that jewelers are not required to disclose.  So many women who paid a big money for their "real" rubies have FF rubies. Jtv and LC openly disclose that information and charge accordingly.  A Sakots emerald is a real emerald but a lot of dark inclusions.  All affordable emeralds have inclusions but Sakotas have a lot.  So, they dye them green and in some of the Sakotas, that hides the inclusions.  I have one surrounded by white zircon and it's amazing.  Very beautiful.  But when I bought a pendant in the same material, I sent it back.  I could see all the black in the emerald.  They dye didn't cover it.  There's also a FF sapphire but JTV doesn't sell that very often.  To each his (or her) own but I prefer the real thing over lab created.  I'm 56 and past the point at which I will pay a couple thousand or more bucks for  a piece of jewelry.  Retirement is not THAT far away.  So when I decided to add ruby and emerald pieces to my jewelry wardrobe I went with Mahaleo and Sakota.  My pieces are lovely and when some rude person asks "is it real"; I can honestly say.  "Thank you, yes it is real". 

Esteemed Contributor

@Anniecamp wrote:

Remember, almost all of the gemstones (other than diamonds) sold in jewelry stores are "lab grown" (created).  Identical to the real thing, but grown in a lab.  So, created gems sold on the jewelry channels are not

different than what's in the jewelry stores.  It's the "simulated" ones that

are not the same.

Huh?  This is sooooo not true.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

Beyond the gold in a piece, little of what most people buy in jewelry is an investment.  It might be cheaper to buy now than later, but you won't get much in cash for anything but scrap gold for any of it.  Maybe a diamond a good one will bring something, but not a lot of the initial investment.

Buy what you love, and buy it for that value.  I would probably choose created over poor quality  It you think it is poor quality, you'll never enjoy it.  BUT, don't buy either for an investment.

Honored Contributor

Food and medication

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man