Honored Contributor

What do you need to get into the Tucson Gem Show?

It's on my bucket list.  

Honored Contributor

Re: What do you need to get into the Tucson Gem Show?

@depglass     Google is literally at your fingertips.

Screenshot_20230124-131605_kindlephoto-60256679.png

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Why would I Google if I have you?  Thank you.

Honored Contributor

@depglass    Ha!  You have to Google it to get the rest of the information.

By the way, I'll meet you there.  Always wanted to go.

Trusted Contributor

If you are going to shows that are open to the public, you need not do anything except show up and enjoy yourself.  If you go to one that is wholesale only, then you need a tax ID number and a badge.  Not sure if badge is issued at the door upon tax ID presentation or what.  I am sure there's probably info online. 

The venues are scattered across the city, but there are certain points where you can pick up a shuttle to take to your desired venue.

I a going this weekend to a couple of my favorite venues. It's fun and massive and for first timers, it can be overwhelming.  But such an experience!  Your eyes will literally glaze over from all the stuff. 

Honored Contributor

@Pezzie    It sounds like a rock hound/jewelry lover's paradise.  You'd definitely have to pace yourself; physically and financially.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624  there's more than just gems, Jewelry, rocks, fossils etc.  Beads galore, and also decorative items for the home.  I always treat myself to a piece of Mata Ortiz pottery.  Jewelry, sometimes.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know it's in Arizona.  When I was 12, a neighbor was going to a big gem show.  It was in our city & my mom let me go.  It was first time I was ever in a gem show.  & saw real diamonds for the first time in my life. My mom gave me money from her & my savings.  I think I had about $75.00.  with me.  I couldn't afford  diamonds then. And I even hated silver then.  But I did buy a Scrimshaw.  For those of you who don't know what it it is.....  It's whale bone (years before it was legal to kill whales) Then an artist drew something on the bone.  Shaped into jewelry.  An artist drew what I requested.  A sail ship and a whale's tail, over the horizon.   He had bones from when it was legal. He made a necklace. An oval shaped pendant and chain.  Scrimshaw is now very valuable.  They start from$1,000.00 up.  still have mine. My chain and trim for the pendent was 14K.  I sat in front of him while he made it. My chaperone purchased a gem ring with diamonds.  I remember seeing it.  It was also the first time my mom ever saw 14K.  Being Italian, 18K was normal for her.  

Honored Contributor

What do you need to get into the Tucson Gem Show?

MONEY

Respected Contributor

@depglass    see if an InterGem show is held near where you live.  i'm lucky the shows are an hour away. Here they are held 2x/yr.

These shows are amazing and huge.  i've been many times and there is so much to see.  you almost can't see it all in one day.  about $8 entry fee.

Vendors offer everything from Diamonds and precious gems, Gold and Pearls to costume and Qvc jewelry.  a shopper held two gorgeous alexandrites in her hand, the vendor allowed her out into the aisle to see the color change. A tent was added just for beads -  strands of briolettes - all semiprecious.